PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Am I too young for the WI? (Womens Insitute)

Options

Comments

• Aura
    Aura Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your kind replie's. I will stay with them It's a great organisation, there is one in Laverstock as well, I have to go to the WI market stall to find out where they meet. So far I have watched them make Vanician masks, been to a hotel which I thought very posh and had a cream tea and hope to have a tour at the cathedrel.

I hope I will make a first in my area. :) Is there a facebook page for the WI please?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,798 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Details of Lavistock:
    http://www.thewi.org.uk/become-a-member/structure-of-the-wi/england/wiltshire/find-a-wi/laverstock-and-district-evening
    Aura wrote: »
    So far I have watched them make Vanician masks, been to a hotel which I thought very posh and had a cream tea and hope to have a tour at the cathedrel.
    Sounds interesting.
    Aura wrote: »
    My cousin and her friends make fun of me because of this.
    So what do your friends do for fun? smiley-confused013.gif

I noticed from another of your posts that that you said you found some of the groups a bit staid and would like to change that.

Why?
  • dawn_rose
    Options
    I joined the mothers union at 25 at church (similar to the wi) I was the youngest but people there aged 25-90 and all ages were welcome.
    Jan 2015 GC £267/£260
    Feb 2015 GC /£260
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    It doesn't sound as if your cousin and her friends have ever bothered to talk any older women.

They weren't always old - in fact, people who are pensioners now lived through very interesting times and had a range of experiences - some of which would shock or surprise the younger generation.

You might also want to mention to your cousin and her friends that they too will be old one day - perhaps they might want to think about how they'd like to be regarded at that age before they start writing off the elderly.

If you enjoy it, that's what matters.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Rosylee
    Options
    I have a question if that's ok. Do you have to be white and British born to join the WI. I have often thought it sounded really wholesome and interesting but was afraid I would be turned away for not being either.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    What an odd question - Of course not !
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Corelli
    Options
    Hi Rosylee. It would be illegal to reject you for not being white and British born. Anyway, the branch nearest to me looks as though it has a very healthy mix of women. Judging from photos of branch activities, that is.

VEGAN for the environment, for the animals, for health and for people

"Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight." ~Albert Schweitzer
  • Rosylee
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    What an odd question - Of course not !

Sorry don't mean to offend. But thank you for the answer.
  • Aura
    Aura Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sosylee I they wouldn't care if you were bright purple with yellow spots, you would still get accepted.
    So what do your friends do for fun?

Visit each others houses and go to work
    you said you found some of the groups a bit staid and would like to change that.

Sorry I was thinking of a camera club I used to belong to. I'd like to encourage more women to join no matter what ethnic minority they are (no Satenists)
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rosylee wrote: »
    I have a question if that's ok. Do you have to be white and British born to join the WI. I have often thought it sounded really wholesome and interesting but was afraid I would be turned away for not being either.
    duchy wrote: »
    What an odd question - Of course not!

It's not such an odd question when you look at photos of WIs but a lot of that is down to the group's rural origins.

I hope that anyone who turns up to join would be welcomed - it would reflect very badly on the WI if they weren't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport