We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

where do i start

Options
vixtress
vixtress Posts: 1,153 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
:wave: good evening, this is my first post on here so please be gentle (i am usually to be found kicking around the os board)

having got really into this oldstle/moneysaving lark i am liking the idea of 'free' food, i get a fruit and veg box weekly but fancy supplementing this with some home grown stuff

the problem is
1, i have never grown anything in my life, even house plants die as soon as they look at me! and

2, we have lawn at the front of the house and decking at the back so i am going to be limitted to pots

i assume i have probably left it too late for this year ??

so how/where and when can i start? what am i unlikely to kill? and what works well in pots?

i am so sorry if these are silly questions or the are covered somewhere really obvious but i have never even glanced at this board before.

thanks, vix
- prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge £150 136/150

Comments

• winniepooh
    winniepooh Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    well I'll join vixtress, I haven't a clue where to start so i'll be watching this thread
    I'm trying so hard to be thrifty, but it doesn't come naturally. You lot are an inspiration!
    JUST LOVES THE O/S BOARD
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    You are a tad late for the main growing season as most people are now harvesting the "fruits of their labours". However, all is not lost. I read elsewhere on this board of someone (sorry can't remember who) who grows carrots all year round, so that's a possibility. I think you can get seeds specially for pot growing. They are rounder and shorter than your normal carrot.
    There are some of us who are also growing potatoes for christmas. What you do is buy your favourite potato from the supermarket (I use Charlotte potatoes from Lidl) plant them in about 5" of soil/compost in a stout plastic bag with some holes in the bottom for drainage (rubble bags are good) and wait ....... they will soon send up green leaves, at which point you "earth them Up" - cover the leaves with more soil/compost, rolling the bag further and further up. Keep doing this until the leaves die off, which will happen some time in November. Then you put the bag somewhere it will be protected from frost and leave it until Christmas. Then cross your fingers and empty out the wonderful potatoes you have grown for your Christmas dinner.
    Of course you can always grow herbs all year round on a sunny windowsill too.
    Good luck :)
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    You can plant swede, kale, kohl rabi, carrots, beetroot, lettuce and salad leaves at this time of year. You can even plant dwarf french beans for a late crop.

I would advise doing the Jayar potato thing too. It has reminded me to pop to lidl for a bag of charlottes!
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • Jayar
    Jayar Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to slightly hijack this thread, but I must ask Kat a question.
    Kat, have you grown Kohl Rabi? I tried it for the first time this year and from about 40 plants only about a dozen have swelled out to any decent size (even with all this rain, huh) Mostly they are just long thin stems where the swollen bit should be and loads of leaves. Any idea what could have gone wrong?
    Or maybeI should say what I have done wrong:o
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi. I was just about to say onions and carrots in pots, all year round - as it is me that does indeed aim for that particular goal.
    Exactly what has been said - hopefully you already have and things are starting to sprout already.
  • rsdiscos
    rsdiscos Posts: 816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have grown courguettes in pots - are doing really well. Got 4 plants and I must have had 6/8 courguette off each one so far;)
    Tomatoes in grow bags - had blight :eek: removed leaves and they are now doing much better.
    Dwarf beans in pots - 2/3 have been eaten and yields are not what I expected so am trying normal varieties next year.:o
    Pepper plant in a covered veranda - again yields not great!
    Salad bowl cut and come again lettuce in a trough . Got a bit staggly after I harvested 6 /8 leaves off each plant and I forgot?! to reseed until last week but it was really nice tasting lettuce!!
    Tried Parmex? round carrots - got bored they were tiny!!:rolleyes:
    It is really exciting to harvest stuff you have grown no matter how small scale you do it !
    Good Luck
    rsdiscos wife
    Plan to PAD Everyday 2024
    Credit Card - £3662.99 (int free to 11/11/25) -
    PAD Totals
    Jan 2024 -
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jayar,

We grew kohl rabi for the first time this year...OH sowed a whole packet of seed and forgot about them so only some were transplanted...they have swollen fine and we have eaten a couple...see another two which need eating tomorrow, read somewhere something about not sowing them too deeply, maybe thats your problem, unfortunately can't remember exactly what the piece I saw read.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family