How much energy do you use?

Options
I checked on Eon website and it had a graph which shows your energy usage per month compared to efficient local homes and average local homes.

Our electricity usage was way below both.
Our gas was slightly higher than average some months, then between efficient and average other months.

Got me wondering whether we were actually using a lot of gas and why.

But on calculating from our meter readings, we're only using 1,200 kWh of electric a year and 10,200 kWh of gas a year.
In a three bed end of terrace.

So we're obviously not doing too badly. Our monthly payment is currently £60, but we're in £80 credit at the moment. I checked comparison site and when our fix ends, we can switch and go down to £50 a month.

I wondered how this compared with users on here. How much Gas and Electric do you use at home?
Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you got any fees to leave the fix early?

Depending on how many months to go it might be worth paying those fees and switch now.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think the MSE Collective switch that closed on Thursday was open to existing e-ON customers. It would have been an easy switch, less hassle.

Waiting for the end of fixes is for mortgages.

I was with e-ON years ago. Used to switch to the next FixOnline tariff every few months, with no exit penalty. Switching internally is not always penalty free, but it's no crime to ask.
  • FreddieFrugal
    Options
    Fix ends November. Their new tariffs/fixes are pricier, £100 a year increase, best deal I found was switching to First Utility. Can get some cashback by switching via confused.com or similar as well.

But my main wonder was in seeing what sort of different levels of energy use there are from people on this forum.

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your gas usage seems reasonable for your type of house -I use about 50% more but I'm in a 5 bed detached -but to me, anyway, your leccy use seems amazingly good! Only ~ 3kwh per day!!
    We use ~ 5 times as much!:o
    You obviously don't have the usual suspects ie dishwasher,tumble dryer,electric oven,power shower, large screen TV ??
  • saveallmymoney
    Options
    Wow Freddie that a pretty awesome electricity usage if its right - do you provide meter readings to EON regularly?

3 KWh per day would only run my fridge freezer, broadband router, central heating circulation pump and an hour of TV a night.

With 5 of us in a 5 bed detached my figures are:

14779 kWh Gas
    5366 kWh Electricity
  • uncreative
    Options
    :eek: 5 of us in a 4 bed detached:

22174 kWh Gas
    6586 kWh Electricity

Just tried the MSE switching tool and we could save £519 pa by switching, plus if we looked at reducing our usage we coud save even more!!
    Total Credit Used...=........£9,000 / £52,700
    Mortgage..............=........£138,000 , 20 Years left.
    :starmod:CC cashback for this year..=........£112.88 £205.81 banked in 2015
    :starmod:YNAB User & Mortgage Free Wannabe
    :starmod::A19/03/16
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    4,700/20,000kWh ~£1,300, of which ~£160 is Standing Charge.
  • FreddieFrugal
    FreddieFrugal Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 September 2015 at 8:35PM
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    You obviously don't have the usual suspects ie dishwasher,tumble dryer,electric oven,power shower, large screen TV ??

We do have dishwasher, run every other day on Eco mode.
    Tumble dryer once a week only during winter
    Electric fan oven yes, three times a week
    Power shower no, just mixer from hot water system
    32 inch tv

I think there's a few reasons why ours is relatively low. There's just two of us. So on an evening we're in same room, watching same tv, one light on in house.

We are very careful about switching stuff off when not in a room.

Also our fridge freezer is in integral garage, which has no natural light and much much cooler than rest of house, so it's probably not working anywhere near as hard as it did in our last house, stood in South facing kitchen.

All our major appliances are only a couple years old too and we went for the A rated or higher ones.

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @FF -as an aside - does your fridge/freezer stay frozen in the Winter in the garage ?
    We have an older fridge/freezer in our garage for overflow storage, but can only use in the Summer because the compressor never runs in the Winter as the thermostat is in the fridge part and is nearly always cold enuf.:o
  • robotrobo
    Options
    I checked on Eon website and it had a graph which shows your energy usage per month compared to efficient local homes and average local homes.

Our electricity usage was way below both.
    Our gas was slightly higher than average some months, then between efficient and average other months.

Got me wondering whether we were actually using a lot of gas and why.

But on calculating from our meter readings, we're only using 1,200 kWh of electric a year and 10,200 kWh of gas a year.
    In a three bed end of terrace.

So we're obviously not doing too badly. Our monthly payment is currently £60, but we're in £80 credit at the moment. I checked comparison site and when our fix ends, we can switch and go down to £50 a month.

I wondered how this compared with users on here. How much Gas and Electric do you use at home?

i think you are doing very well with the useage , if you are kept warm enough & feel comfortable during the winter months , why would you want to change, thats if you were thinking of doing , i would leave well alone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure