Coping with Shared Use Pavement

Options
It's strange. I am a confident cyclist living in a small city and generally only use off-road cycle paths if they really are going to where I need to be and don't slow me down.

I recognise that not everyone has the confidence to cycle on the road (or the experience I have), so when the council made the pavement I walk along to work into a shared use pavement a couple of weeks ago, I welcomed the change.

The real solution to my problem would be for the quiet path I used to take through the hospital to be re-instated now that the housing estate they've built on the hospital site is nearly finished. But in the meantime I am a bag of nerves. Last night a woman my age on a bike gave me the six foot of room that I would give to someone (I have tried it out the one day I took my bike to work) but most people are coming up from behind and 'buzzing' me, even though the pavement is about 8 foot wide and I am walking close to the wall. I know it's safer for them to be off the road, but I am feeling very hard-done-by. I don't even like brown trousers :eek:

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.

Comments

• brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    On the face of it, it seems a bit inconsiderate. They should be giving you plenty of passing space. Could you walk on a different part of the path that will keep you away from cyclists approaching from behind, perhaps on the right?

I'm sure they won't collide with you. Perhaps they're unaware that their proximity makes you feel uneasy.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • Teapot55
    Options
    brat wrote: »
    On the face of it, it seems a bit inconsiderate. They should be giving you plenty of passing space. Could you walk on a different part of the path that will keep you away from cyclists approaching from behind, perhaps on the right?

I'm sure they won't collide with you. Perhaps they're unaware that their proximity makes you feel uneasy.

Well, no, not really. If I walked on the right I would be walking next to the kerb and the vehicles skim very close to the kerb, especially the buses. You've made me think, though - maybe that's why the cyclists are riding down the middle of the pavement rather than going near the edge and so not giving me enough room?

You are probably right that they won't collide with me. It's the fact that I don't know they are there because of the noise of the traffic combined with the speed of their approach.

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Perhaps make yourself look bigger than you are - carry an umbrella, hold your bag to the side rather than in front or behind, stick your arms out, something like that. They will pass within x inches of what they see to be your extremities, so if said extremities are further out, they will pass further out. And if they do happen to clip you, it will be your bag or brolly, not your torso.

As Brat implies, it is in every cyclist's interests to avoid a collision with a pedestrian, so I doubt if it is deliberate. More like an eye on the distant horizon and a fine judgement of gaps, without realising how it affects the pedestrian.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • armyknife
    Options
    Teapot55 wrote: »
    Well, no, not really. If I walked on the right I would be walking next to the kerb and the vehicles skim very close to the kerb, especially the buses. You've made me think, though - maybe that's why the cyclists are riding down the middle of the pavement rather than going near the edge and so not giving me enough room?

You are probably right that they won't collide with me. It's the fact that I don't know they are there because of the noise of the traffic combined with the speed of their approach.

Which is why I always use a bell or my voice and am ready, if necessary to stop in a place that won't their walking route.

We should all defer to the most vulnerable road user be it pedestrian, child, horse or pet.

Unlike the driver who had to squeeze past two horse-riders who I was following on a narrow lane yesterday. If he'd stopped twenty yards earlier they'd have had the chance and width to pass him and let him on his way, but clearly those 20 seconds of driving time were vital to him.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Teapot55 wrote: »
    It's strange. I am a confident cyclist living in a small city and generally only use off-road cycle paths if they really are going to where I need to be and don't slow me down.

I recognise that not everyone has the confidence to cycle on the road (or the experience I have), so when the council made the pavement I walk along to work into a shared use pavement a couple of weeks ago, I welcomed the change.

The real solution to my problem would be for the quiet path I used to take through the hospital to be re-instated now that the housing estate they've built on the hospital site is nearly finished. But in the meantime I am a bag of nerves. Last night a woman my age on a bike gave me the six foot of room that I would give to someone (I have tried it out the one day I took my bike to work) but most people are coming up from behind and 'buzzing' me, even though the pavement is about 8 foot wide and I am walking close to the wall. I know it's safer for them to be off the road, but I am feeling very hard-done-by. I don't even like brown trousers :eek:
    Lancaster by chance?
  • Marco_Panettone
    Options
    Maybe contact the council. Suggest that 'shared use' is not good for either pedestrians (you) or cyclists (you) and tell them to do it properly with protected cycle lanes.
    It's only numbers.
  • Maybe contact the council. Suggest that 'shared use' is not good for either pedestrians (you) or cyclists (you) and tell them to do it properly with protected cycle lanes.

True - at the very least if Councils intend to turn a footpath into a shared us one they should paint a line up the middle and indicate that its cyclists (rather than pedestrians) that obviously get the side nearest the road traffic.

It is wrong to have to walk along our own pavements in such an "alert" state all the time if they have been turned into joint-use. I'm used to being able to walk along pavements thinking about more important things/more interesting things (even if its only whats next on my list) rather than watching out for the more irresponsible type people. I agree with the "making yourself look big" argument and putting on the confident demeanour of someone who knows pedestrians have First Rights (by law) on our pavements - as the onus is on cyclists to watch out for us by law, rather than vice-versa.
  • AndyBSG
    Options
    I'm not a fan of shared use spaces in general when cycling... Pedestrians on foot at 5MPH and cyclists on several kilograms of metal moving at 15MPH+ is not a good idea.

For me shared use spaces are really for young kids on cycles or leisurely cycling where you pretty much coast along which is why I will always use the road when it's safe to do so.

The boom of ipods and mp3 players making pedestrians completely death to cycling bells also makes it a risk not worth taking IMO.
  • Marco_Panettone
    Options
    True - at the very least if Councils intend to turn a footpath into a shared us one they should paint a line up the middle and indicate that its cyclists (rather than pedestrians) that obviously get the side nearest the road traffic..

No - this is still as bad. It reduces the amount of space pedestrians are given and gives it to motor traffic by moving (some) cycles onto it. They need to create high-quality, safe space for cycling AND walking by removing space from motor vehicle use where necessary, or using verges to extend paths.
    It is wrong to have to walk along our own pavements in such an "alert" state all the time if they have been turned into joint-use..

Indeed it is, but this is exactly how people on bikes have been treated for decades.

I'm used to being able to walk along pavements thinking about more important things/more interesting things (even if its only whats next on my list) rather than watching out for the more irresponsible type people. I agree with the "making yourself look big" argument and putting on the confident demeanour of someone who knows pedestrians have First Rights (by law) on our pavements - as the onus is on cyclists to watch out for us by law, rather than vice-versa.

Indeed, as it should be. This should also follow onto the roads too - those with the greatest power should have the greatest legal responsibility. But it currently isn't the case...
    It's only numbers.
  • surreysaver
    Options
    The trouble with shared use is, people on bicycles do not realise that by law pedestrians have priority, and should yield to them at all times. Even on marked ones with one side marked bicycles, pedestrians have priority. Some people might be deaf / distracted by their children / dogs, or children might be running around not knowing they need to be aware of cycles appearing from nowhere.

Anyone riding a bicycle at much more than walking pace should be on the road.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure