My darling girl has cancer

Options
*zippy*
*zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 16 September 2015 at 11:07AM in Pets & pet care
Our lovely miniature schnauzer Millie was diagnosed with lymphoma yesterday. I've been back and fore the vets, first it was heart failure, but after a week they said she was doing great on the meds so I relaxed then she was ill again so I rushed her back thinking it was her heart again, but they said that was fine, I saw a few different vets with no answers, deep down I was worried it was cancer, but kept telling myself you're just thinking the worst and its probably something simple.

One vet told me to book her in for a teeth clean, so I sighed with relief, she'd have some teeth sorted and be fine. Before her op though another vet called to say she didn't think it was her teeth could she do other tests. She called back to say there was a large mass in her stomach and she only has a few weeks left with us.

I can't stop crying, it's the shock and I keep thinking of all different things that start me off again, she's so good today and eaten her breakfast now they've started her on steroids. She's 14 in November and still like a puppy in many ways.

I'm so worried about our other schnauzer too, lottie who is 13. She had a bad start in life and Millie looks after her, she's very nervous and relies on Millie a lot. She's having a lot of leg problems so I'm back and fore the vet with her too.

The shock of millies heart failure and knowing we could lose either one and the other would be left alone we decided to get a rescue dog. We've waited months thinking it through and long story short we have a puppy, I would have waited longer if I known then Millie was so ill, but she's a darling. Lottie isn't interested though, the two schnauzers are buddies and they avoid the pup or woof at her, she doesn't understand and keeps trying with them, maybe it's early days and I'm worrying too soon?

Any advice please, practical and I want to make millies time left so special and how do I help Lottie. Has anyone found their dog accepted a new puppy after losing their buddy? She's very needy so I don't think she'll ever mother the puppy the way some older dogs would and we'll give her all the extra reassurance we can, we do already but it's not the same and I'd just like her to have the comfort of a canine friend too.

Sorry it's so long I don't feel ready to tell anyone in real life yet I'm too upset and needed to get it out.

Comments

• krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As pup matures and gets a bit less puppylike, you may find they bond a bit more. Puppies don't read body language well (well, it's like a new language they have to learn) and can often irritate older dogs. They tend to get a bit of 'puppy license', i.e. dogs tolerate more than they would from an adult dog, but it may mean they just get ignored until they get really, really annoying.

I would just focus on making sure pup can't pester too much. Keep them split via crates, babygates, a houseline tether (e.g. tether pup to your waist) or similar and make every interaction a positive one. E.g. all the dogs get a special stuffed Kong when pup is in the room (just make sure they're secured so pup can't steal their Kong), take them out for a nice walk with pup (not overdoing the exercise for pup, that is), and so on. Basically build an association that makes the older dogs realise the presence of the puppy means fun/good/nice things happen.

Personally, I'm not sure I would have adopted a pup with a 13 year old dog..we did it once and unfortunately the older dog passed away before pup ever got out of that irritating puppy stage. However, knowing what I know about dogs, I might do it if I felt I could keep pup separate whilst still giving both sets of dogs enough attention. I just regretted that the older dog's last couple of months involved being pestered by a puppy a lot, when she wasn't feeling that great (dodgy hips).

I know it's tough when you have a second dog to think about it - as morbid as it sounds, we're hoping one of our dog passes before the other as she'd really struggle as a single dog whereas the other would be fine (and he could come to work with me so he wasn't on his own). What's done is done, and as I say, I would make it work more with a bit of 'management' of things and these careful positive sessions together, rather than hoping for the best.
  • elliesmemory1
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I recently lost my 14 year old. It's always a shock.
    My other dog is missing him lots too.
    Regarding the puppy, try to make sure he doesn't annoy the other two but also don't tell him off for being a puppy either.After all its not his fault the other two are old and poorly.
    You may find when one of them sadly passes away the puppy and the remaining dog will bond more.
    Again I'm so sorry. I hope you have more time with your dog's. Give them lots of treats and love and treasure the time you have left.
  • trixie73
    Options
    Haven't any advice really, just want to say how sorry I am for you. I'm a mini Schnauzer owner (he's 14 months), and what a wonderful breed they are, so full of it.
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Just wanted to send big hug xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear that zippy, I have two schnauzers, 7 and nearly 13 + 3 other dogs.

The older schnauzer had a recurrence of a previous cancer last year, as things go, it's been a slow grower and she's fine, not in pain and still eating and perky. I have another dog that had a mast cell tumour removed a few months back, aged 13.5.

I know it's a shock, but sadly that's the deal we sign up to. I agree with everything kylyr said about the puppy ( is she ever wrong:) ), they will all find a way of living together, just limit how much time the pup can irritate the older ones.

In the meantime, just love and as much walks and special food as Millie wants.

Many schnauzer yodels from mine to yours
  • owlet
    owlet Posts: 1,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, no advice to b give but wanted to send hugs and say how sorry I am. Make the most of your precious time x
    SPC 8 (2015) #485 TOTAL: £334.65
    SPC 9 (2016) #485 TOTAL £84
    SPC 10 (2017) # 485 TOTAL: £464.80
    SPC 11 (2018) #485
  • *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you so much for your thoughts and kind wishes.x

Unfortunately we only had a few days left with her and had to let her go this morning. We had a lovely walk yesterday at the beach, it was like there was nothing wrong, but she went down hill fast last night. We're so glad we had chance to say goodbye, but it's hard, she never complained once bless her. We let Lottie say goodbye before we buried her and she must understand as she's not looking for her as she would normally.

Thank you again x
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    So sorry to hear that zippy. Mini schnauzers are such loving fun little dogs. All you can ever do is be thankful for the life you had to share with her and the care that you gave her right to the end.

Many hugs and woofs
    Bugs and the bugslet schnauzers.
  • jrtfan
    jrtfan Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Zippy I am so sorry to hear your sad news. Losing a much loved pet is never easy, even though we know it's inevitable one day and try to prepare ourselves for when that day comes. You will always have your treasured memories of Millie and you will always know that you did what was best for her at the end, as painful as this was for you.

Run free, little Millie x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport