Lloyds Collections calling me for my partner's card debt. He denies all knowledge.

Options
Hi all

I am not married to my partner, but he moved into my (in my name) flat 3 years ago.

I thought he has a great work ethic - he used to - but as soon as he moved in, he became workshy, starting and stopping jobs and leaving for things like "why should so and so get paid more than me?"

As a result, he now hasn't worked for months, and has absolutely no savings (his parents are broke) so is now starting to get into arrears on credit cards.

I have been receiving - on my personal mobile which hardly anyone has the number for - calls from Lloyds Collections, for 2 weeks. I tweeted them "leave me alone" thinking nothing of it. They put me in touch with a proper adviser, and he said this:

"Do you know a Mr X X? The debt is his".

It was my partner's name!

I just said nope, never heard of him, please stop calling, and that was fine by the adviser.

I immediately called my partner, who said "oh! How did they get your number??"

I then opened his unopened post (he is visiting his mum, in Scotland) and sure enough there was a letter from Lloyds Collections. When I read it to him, he was livid I'd opened his post.

We aren't married and his name is not on the flat, but he does get his post here.

So... How DID Lloyds get my number?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is difficult to say how they may have got your number, information is shared quite readily now-a-days with all of the personal details we put out there/ online etc. The 2 issues I can see from what you have described are: -

(1). Lloyds should not have discussed this matter with you unless you are named on the debt - it would be a breach of data protection. Your partner could complain to Lloyds on that basis and you could complain on the grounds of harassment - if the calls continue (you could also ask them how they obtained your number).

(2). I would also suggest you check your credit file and whether or not you and your partner have a financial association. If you do then your credit files are linked and if he does start missing payments on his debts it may negatively impact on your score.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I imagine your partner gave them your number.

Check your credit file. Hope there's nothing else he's hiding from you.
  • kellaree
    Options
    I am financially linked to my partner because of our joint mortgage even though we are not married.

Is there anyway he could have named you on a loan/CC application without you knowing?

Definitely check your credit rating asap and check there isn't something on there you weren't aware of.

p.s

You should probably give him the heave-ho as well...
  • Majestic12
    Options
    bsms1147 wrote: »
    I imagine your partner gave them your number.

Check your credit file. Hope there's nothing else he's hiding from you.

Unfortuantely, I also agree your partner gave the number.
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It is possible for certain organisations to get details of "numbers at an address" - it happened to me once, when the police needed to contact me but only had my address from the DVLA (Witness purposes!), so they did some sort of search on phone numbers at the house, and my housemate was called by them first.

I'd be surprised if any non-government organisation has access to that service - at least without a warrant or similar.

Hope it all gets sorted out :/

Peter
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • MisterBaxter
    Options
    Our details our recorded in so many places these days and are linked in so many ways it is possible that they got the number without having being given it. Nonetheless they absolutely should not have entered in to any discussion with the OP about someone else's financial affairs without that person giving their express consent beforehand. As they haven't stated that the debt was in the name of the OP and as the letter opened by the OP didn't have their name on it this particular debt probably isn't joint but there could be other issues her partner is hiding.

As other have said it is best to get a statutory report from each of the three agencies to make sure there are no unknown debts, if there are it's best to sort them out quickly. If there is a financial link it may be best to see if this can be removed (assuming no joint accounts or loans exist) as a linked persons financial problems can reflect badly on the person they are linked to.
  • Paully232000
    Options
    I would agree that often the simplest answer is the correct one. Your partner gave Lloyds your number.

However, this still doesn't let Lloyds off discussing his debt with you, unless there is more to the debt than meets the eye.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    However, this still doesn't let Lloyds off discussing his debt with you, unless there is more to the debt than meets the eye.

Nothing to suggest LLoyds has discussed the debt with the OP.
  • Paully232000
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Nothing to suggest LLoyds has discussed the debt with the OP.

the OP said, they asked her if she knew Mr X, and that the debt was his.
    So she now knows that Mr X, has a debt with Lloyds that isn't being paid.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the OP said, they asked her if she knew Mr X, and that the debt was his.
    So she now knows that Mr X, has a debt with Lloyds that isn't being paid.

If Lloyds hadn't been provided with that telephone number then the OP would have been none the wiser.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure