Please help bank saying i have a IVA when i dont

Hello,

Can someone please advise me i could throw up with worry. I applied to Barclays for my old ppi from 1996 for a loan when i was in the forces. Today i recieve a letter telling me im due a refund however as im on a Iva they need to speak to a trustee? I have never even heard of a iva my credit record is perfect ive no debts however just had a mortgage ironicly with barclays agreed. I have checked on the gov.uk my name doesnt appear and barclays say they cant confirm my iva status. I also work for lloyds so i had to go through thorough checks. What is going on?

Shane

Comments

• Hi could someone please advise as to my earlier post. Is it possible i had an iva but didnt know? Who can i contact to check? Is it possible barclays made a mistake? I checked my credit file no iva even rung experian who say i dont.

Thanks

Shane
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    You can't have an IVA and not know - it's something you have to apply for and agree to. It can't happen without your knowledge. So I would guess some mistake somewhere.

Would complain to Barclays stating that you have never had an IVA, and that if they persist in falsely claiming that you have then you will take the matter of this and the PPI they allege to the FOS.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,046
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    An IVA is an Individual Voluntary Arrangement, so as the name suggests you can't have had one if you didn't know about it.

I don't know the ins and outs of insolvency as I've never been through it, own business, decent savings/investments etc, however I'd suggest that putting something in writing to them may sort the problem, as it's pushing the responsibility for the payout onto you, from them.

I didn't reply earlier (I did see your post) as I didn't have time to research (in the middle of moving countries at the moment) and my area of expertise is housing, not debt.

Hope this helps as much as I can.

ETA: I see Fermi got there before I did. Thanks
    💙💛 💔
  • Thank you for taking the time to reply and your advice. Thats a relief i was thinking all sorts like was it something i had forgotten about . Barclays are getting back to me next week about this so hopefully that will clear things up
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure