We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.
Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Offer buyer cash incentive to delay completion
Is this possible. Its looking likely that we will be exchanging contacts by the end of this month.
Our buyers have been fantastic. They have their offer in place, and have their end of the contract ready to sign. And of course they are keen to get done.
When we on the other hand have only just had our valuation back after waiting three weeks. Still waiting for our mortgage offer (hopefully next week) and we are still waiting for the building survey to be done.
As I say, it looks like exchange will be coming at the end of this month. however, we have a date of November the 3rd in mind. Simply because thats the best time for getting off work. And also to get our oldest in school. He still needs to be placed after signing contracts. It would also allow us to get a few more things in place before we move
Is there anyway we could say, offer the buyers a cash incentive to wait till then? As in get it written into the contract that we will pay them say £500 to put towards their first mortgage payment as a gesture of gratitude.
Obviously its best to just ask my solicitor but as she's not available till tomorrow, I though I would ask for advice here.
Anyone done anything similar?
Comments
-
Why pay them?
Exchange when you are ready and tell your conveyancer (& estate agent?) you wish Completion date to be November the 3rd.0 -
The buyers should declare a cash-back incentive to their mortgage lender. And mortgage lenders can get very suspicious about these kinds of arrangements. It may cause more grief than it's worth.
It would be easier to just reduce the selling price by £500, because that's more transparent. But it could still cause a chunk of extra work for the mortgage lender and solicitors.
As you suggest, ask your solicitor what he/she thinks.0 -
If they are first timers, you might consider leaving some white goods for them as a sort of incentive?I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.2K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.8K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards