Xbox 360 60gb hardrive

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
14 replies 4.2K views
kpearsoncjkpearsoncj Forumite
248 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
Hi just bought one of these from cash generator from website for £37.

not sure of the specs or never used one before tbh.

Can anyone give me any feedback on xbox live and can you connect with wifi or network cable?

I just need a few pointers about what they can do its for my little 5 year old :)

many thanks

Replies

• StuC75StuC75 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Network cable is the easiest means, as some of the older models of xbox 360 don't have wifi included..

for online gaming need xbox gold membership for the full service,, this is £39 if 'dumb enough' to buy through the dashboard,

otherwise use cdkeys.com , and like there facebook page for extra 5% discount, which usually means can buy it for about £20/21 for the year.

Its easier to setup the xbox live with an adult \parents details, then set a subaccount up for your child (all users on a console get xbox live features) - this will allow control \ restriction on the gaming experience and obvious risks \ concerns that a parent should take account of..
  • edited 7 September 2015 at 1:29PM
    DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 September 2015 at 1:29PM
    Yes defo get an ethernet cable and link it that way.

I say the Gold sub for £18/19 on HUKD.

If you need more storage you can use a portable hard drive.
  • mcjordimcjordi Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    you will need ethernet cable as the older #generation of 360 didnt have wireless connectivity.
    Xbox live is circa £19 at the mo on cd keys.com for 12 months
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A 60gb 360 will have wireless connectivity, the older models without it were only 20gb with a white disc drive. Most 360's that have wireless connectivity will have a silver disc drive ;)

Like everyone else said buy your membership elsewhere as its about 20 quid for 12 months, plus you get 2 free games a month with gold. Xbox live is easy to setup, just follow the instructions it tells you to do on the console.
  • thanks thats really useful to know.
  • SheepsterSheepster Forumite
    117 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Good call, there's absolutely tons of (now) old games which you can pick up for peanuts. Do not of course download them from the marketplace, you will get them very cheap from such as CEX or ebay etc.
    That model too, it's one of the later models which had the mistakes ironed out, will be whisper quiet and reliable.

Having to think though, what games will be good for a 5 year old. I can think of maybe more on PS3 and definitely on Nintendo, but that is of course irrelevant.
    You'll find plenty for you, there'll be some good ones I'm sure
  • StuC75StuC75 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spinkz wrote: »
    A 60gb 360 will have wireless connectivity, the older models without it were only 20gb with a white disc drive. Most 360's that have wireless connectivity will have a silver disc drive ;)

Like everyone else said buy your membership elsewhere as its about 20 quid for 12 months, plus you get 2 free games a month with gold. Xbox live is easy to setup, just follow the instructions it tells you to do on the console.

Not all models of the xbox 360 have built in wifi.

It was the Slim consoles (S) launched in 2010 (Shiny black), that saw the introduction of wifi built in (60gb wasn't one of those models).

http://xbox.about.com/od/buyersguide/a/360buyersguide.htm

The dongles on the old consoles can be temperamental and those consoles are quite old now >5years.. so if you want the wifi / better life then the newer style would be a better buy..
  • cheers i bought a xbox 4gb.
  • kpearsoncj wrote: »
    cheers i bought a xbox 4gb.

Just a wee heads up, you'll run into a lot of problems playing certain games - fortunately for you those are more "mature" games but there's a number which won't work on your machine without extras. Some games will work on a USB pen drive, but many others will not work without a hard drive (EA games are prone to this). You'll see a logo on the front of certain games which will indicate these games - it's the third one in from the left on the cover of Plants Vs Zombies here.

(http://www.game.co.uk/en/plants-vs-zombies-garden-warfare-243581?attributeName1=Shop%20By&provenance=New&catGroupId=&categoryIdentifier=10223&attributeValue1=63)
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim Forumite
    844 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    Just a wee heads up, you'll run into a lot of problems playing certain games - fortunately for you those are more "mature" games but there's a number which won't work on your machine without extras. Some games will work on a USB pen drive, but many others will not work without a hard drive (EA games are prone to this). You'll see a logo on the front of certain games which will indicate these games - it's the third one in from the left on the cover of Plants Vs Zombies here.

(http://www.game.co.uk/en/plants-vs-zombies-garden-warfare-243581?attributeName1=Shop%20By&provenance=New&catGroupId=&categoryIdentifier=10223&attributeValue1=63)

Excellent tech advice, once again. They really should get something like an "Xbox 360 60gb hardrive". :rotfl:
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to [email protected].
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals