Care provided in the home

Options
Should an individual who currently has a degenerative illness require care to be provided in his home, how would any means test be applied - ie over his income or income and capital?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    income and ca[otal.

where i live capital over 50k a year means that no help will be given towards care.
    they also take 605 OF DLA MIDDLE RATE AOR AA LOWER RATE, BUT ALL AUTHORITIES HAVE THERE OWN RULES AND REGULATIONS REGARDING INCOME AND CAPITAL
  • faerielight
    Options
    I have a care agency, I'm on all the usual benefits, ESA, DLA etc and I have to pay £60 a month towards the cost .
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
  • M00minMama
    Options
    Rules differ if you are over/under 65

For under 65 and working the following general rules apply but check on your council's website for the exact criteria they use.

If you're under 65 your council cannot take your salary into account if you are working.
    They may look at other sources of income you have
    Savings and shares need to be below a certain threshold. (See your own authorities limits).
    Dividends you receive are not counted as the shares have already been included.
    In general you will only be assessed on your own savings and capital, Partners income/ savings etc excluded.
    If you do have a savings level above the threshold there is a sliding scale of personal contribution applied.

Although I had previously been turned down for a disabled facilities grant based on joint income, I was eligible for a care package as someone working age who was employed based on the above.

My social services finance team said they ignored salaries as it would be a barrier to working for disabled people. It's worth reading their criteria before contacting them, but do apply. It makes a massive difference to your life to get that help

Hope that helps a little
  • cattermole
    cattermole Posts: 3,539 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2015 at 2:11PM
    Options
    You council should have a policy on their website explaining clearly how they will apply the means test and their charging policy.

New rules now apply on what they can and cannot do in the Care Act regarding charging for non residential care.

However it is more or less fair to say that pretty much the same rules have been lifted from the Fairer Charging Guidance into the Care Act.

All Councils are pretty much maximizing any charges they can make, they do not have to charge but most do. Legally if savings are under a set amount they cannot touch them and it's graded between two amounts roughly less than 25,000 to 14,000 cannot remember the set figures off the top of my head.

All eligible income is taken into account including disability benefits (excluding Mobility/PIP element) you can/should get amounts taken off for things like rent shortfalls, council tax that has to be paid, interest on a mortgage and Disability Related Expenditure.

Then depending on age, level of disability there are set amounts the Government says you should be left to live on + 25%.

The best place to read in more detail on non residential charging is the Age UK website as they have pretty much the best fact sheet.

One point the only way you can be exempt totally from Charging is the person being cared for meets the Continuing Health Care Criteria, it is extremely difficult to get but can be done. The reason for this is if Health are responsible then there are no charges because care on the NHS is free.
    Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy - Anne Frank :A
  • moremore
    moremore Posts: 518 Forumite
    edited 26 September 2015 at 12:22PM
    Options
    Does anyone have infromation on the new care act, does it apply to care or nursing homes. please
    Should have said does the act include any change of conditions for care homes and council inclued in them living wage for carers in contracts from providers.
  • cattermole
    Options
    Not entirely sure what your question is ?

Do you mean pay to staff working in nursing homes?
    Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy - Anne Frank :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport