Freshers' Week - What are your top tips to get the most out of it?

Options
2»

Comments

• minerva_windsong
    Options
    Get on the mailing list for every society you are remotely interested in - there is literally a society for everything at university so you're almost certain to find something you're keen on. Then go to as many of the welcome evenings as you can to find out more about the society and whether you're keen on it and the people there. But DO NOT under any circumstances hand over any membership fees until you're absolutely sure you want to join. Otherwise you'll get halfway round freshers' fair and have no money left.

I say this as I think societies are a much better way to meet people than halls. With halls, it's essentially pot luck as to whether you get people who you get along with - in my case everyone on my corridor was perfectly lovely but we didn't have anything in common. Whereas with societies, you will have at least one similar interest to other people there.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • PeonySugar
    Options
    Do not put pressure on yourself for freshens week. It is not a magical week that solves all of your social worries. 90% of people you meet in freshers you will never meet again. You will be more likely to meet people at societies/lectures/seminars/the people you live with/the people in the opposite flat/your part time job. And all of these things happen over time.

Take care of yourself, if you're drinking lots of alcohol, drink lots of water. Make a simple meal once in a while, go for walks, see if any local attractions have student offers on.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get involved.

I didn't as a fresher and missed out on a lot. I regretted this decision and ended up having my freshers week in my final year of uni :o (disclaimer: this is a stupidly bad idea)
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    MSE_Megan wrote: »

My top tip would be to keep an eye out for all that free stationary, you go through no end of it at uni and it can be really expensive.

Buy a good dictionary. ;)
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buy a good dictionary. ;)

I thought I had already suggested that. I can't see my post now though.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Explore what is available locally.
    A month into my first term one of my course mates asked me where the nearest Argos was as she needed a TV cable. It turned out she hadn't left the (small) campus the entire time except to get a cab to go home at a weekend. She was thrilled to discover there was a massive town centre with all her favourite shops within a mile. She also realized there was a branch of the store she had her weekend job back home which opened up the possibility of some part time work for her.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,117 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Phone home. Your parents would love to hear how you are doing.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure