hargreaves and landsdown exit fee

Options
124»

Comments

• green_man
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    In the days of retail funds and institutional funds, then it was clearly an advantage to get institutional. However, since unbundling, you either got a new clean share class or the fund house just used their institutional share class to fill that role.

This is great because there are loads on the Halifax platform showing as this class and I assumed I could not use them (basically because that's what the investors info document implies) certainly Halifax need to be clearer on this. Many thx
  • Plus
    Plus Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    green_man wrote: »
    If this is the case then great, I looked at the fund documentation which states min investment is £10 million ( or similar), so assumed this was a none starter for me. Are you saying I can invest something in the 1-5k range?

Usually the numbers displayed on fund documentation relate to buying direct from the fund house. Things like 5% initial charges, minimum deposits, and to a lesser extent ISA-ability often relate to what you can do when buying direct. Like many commodities, you can save money by going direct but the manufacturer will often expect you to buy in bulk.

The thing is to look at what your platform will actually allow you to do. Try going through the motions of buying some (bailing at the last minute), and see if you get an error about minimum purchases. If not, you're good. Look at your platform reckons the charges are, not what the documentation says. Like a supermarket, your platform is buying in bulk from the fund house and it's for them to decide what their sales conditions are.

I realise this is a bit trickier if you haven't opened an account yet, but it's your platform you are buying from, not from the fund house, so it's their details that count.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    green_man wrote: »
    This is great because there are loads on the Halifax platform showing as this class and I assumed I could not use them (basically because that's what the investors info document implies) certainly Halifax need to be clearer on this. Many thx

This close to the sunset clause, there really shouldnt be any fund supermarket offering retail share classes any more. They should all be on clean share classes now.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure