PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Packing those awkward last minute things!

Options
At last we are going to be moving tomorrow. Having had many, many months to prepare I have KMed the house (well, my stuff anyway and tried to persuade the others!) so we have less than there would have been.

Everything from the bedrooms is now boxed or bagged and is downstairs in the living room, but my problem is the kitchen.

I have been using the fruit and veg boxes from Lidl as they stack very well and are sturdy. But now I have awkward things from the kitchen. Tins are heavy. I packed a box with about twenty yesterday but it is too heavy. Half-used bottles of oil etc. are too tall to fit in my boxes but I don't want to lay them down.
I have defrosted the freezer and used up what I can but still need to pack fridge stuff. I have got plastic tubs, perhaps 1 and 2 litre size so they may be useful but then they need to go in boxes.

Saucepans are awkward with handles sticking out and they don't all fit into each other.

I know about having my washing up basin set aside with kettle, coffee, mugs etc. It's the packing of things that I need advice on.

We sold our cooker (moving from gas to electric) so no cooking (yay:T) so I can safely pack all the cooking stuff.

Any helpful suggestions for the last bits would be so gratefully received. Come on GQ:D
Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
(he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
:D:D:D

Comments

• FairyPrincessk
    Options
    The awkward things are just going to be awkward. Don't let it slow you down. The main thing is that all of it needs to go in a box that you can still lift and that the contents won't get broken.

So, put your boxes out in the middle of the room. Make a pile of your largest items--say big woks etc. Designate a box big enough to hold each of those, but don't put them in yet. Make a layer of heavy things at the bottom of each of the boxes unless you need the full depth for your large items (if so just put the large item in already). Then put your largest items in. Check to make sure you can lift it. If it is too heavy then take some of the layer out of heavy stuff out--keeping it balanced. Place smaller, lighter items around the larger and heavier items--boxes of tea, tea towels etc. If there is still space at the top then you can cover with cushions or blankets from elsewhere in the house, just make sure there isn't anything that will rub off or leak.

For fridge stuff, pack it into small containers--if you have a cool bag etc you can use that and then put it back into the fridge so all you have to to is grab the container.

Kitchens rarely have the same layout and space between houses so there isn't much of a point in trying to pack all of one drawer or cupboard together since it likely won't fit the same way into the new kitchen--just get it in the box.

For really tall items keep one or two open topped boxes to the side and stand things up in those. You can tuck a tea towel on top and around the sides to help keep it from shifting around. If you have a bucket or small waste paper bin these are good for cleaning items which you'll also need with your washing up bowl other side.

A note though-- If you ever move again I'd strongly suggest running down your tins the same way you did with your freezer as they're heavy and an absolute beast to move.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Fairy Princess. Exactly the kind of advice I need.

Re: tins, yep, will do. I only have about twenty plus packets of dried pulses etc. But good point.

I have the food cupboards all cleared and stuff boxed up, cupboard cleaned and box put back in. So those will be easy. But again, I want things to stack and they all have bits sticking out the top just to be awkward.
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    No worries--I've moved loads of times and the kitchen always slows me down when I try to pack it 'neatly.'
  • rosie383
    Options
    I'm off to pack fridge stuff. Even though it is turned off it's a good idea to fill boxes then put them back in. Then I can get it cleaned today.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) With saucepans, I put each in a carrier bag and knot the handles around the pan's handle then nest in size order. The bags stop them clatteringm and marking each other. Once nested, you can put them in a bigger bag or a box.

With dried goods, I would always double-bag them if they aren't in plastic or glass containers. A little flour can go an awful long way, and lentils on the loose are positively kinetic.

You can use household textiles to pad other things as they displace volume without adding too much weight.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :)
    With dried goods, I would always double-bag them if they aren't in plastic or glass containers. A little flour can go an awful long way, and lentils on the loose are positively kinetic.

Add to that rice. It also hurts when you miss some sweeping up and walk on it without slippers....;)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Add to that rice. It also hurts when you miss some sweeping up and walk on it without slippers....;)
    :o Yup, these are things you only learn by experience. In my world, if it can spill, it will spill.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Utilise your strong shopping bags (if you have any) and use those for tins, heavier stuff and bottles/jars that are too tall for boxes. They do the job well to get it into the house from the supermarket.

The one thing I had issues with last time I moved was paintings, I kept them on the wall until the last load as I didn't want them damaged and wrapped them in the bedding that went in the car with us. Silly me didn't think about their final destination and it wasn't until I thought "I'll just pop them up on the wall out of the way" in the new house that I realised there wasn't enough hooks. Had I been logical I'd have wrapped them in bubble wrap and cardboard and they could have been stored safely rather than stacked behind the sofa!

Good luck with the move!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • rosie383
    Options
    Paintings are all done already. Oops! Forgot the two big mirrors!

Will take the advice about double bagging stuff. Especially if my DH and the other helping men get their hands on them!!

And great idea about using the strong shopping bags for tins. Makes sense.

I got two big deep boxes from the supermarket that had had flowers in them, so I have put all the saucepans in those and padded around (or chucked in) all the napkins, tea towels etc. that were still lurking in the cupboard.

It's actually a blessing in disguise that the cooker has gone. It means there is no pressure to be good and cook stuff. We have had sandwiches for lunch and will use up salad stuff and yoghurt etc. later.
  • MarieMac_2
    Options
    If you have time I'd look at what you are packing and make sure you are only bringing the cookware and storage things that are in good condition and that you actually use. Most people have at least a few pots and pans that aren't particularly useful, in that they are warped or scraped or just awkward to use but they're still "ok" so they remain in the kitchen. Same with plastic containers - make sure you aren't packing any with missing lids or that don't seal well.

If you have a set of decent cookware in good condition bring only those and send the rest to either a charity shop or the bin, whichever they are best suited for. Obviously if any of the ok ones have sentimental value then keep those but no point in hauling along any that don't particularly suit what you need them for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure