Scottish Power Deemed Rates

Options
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with the following:

I was wondering if anybody knows or knows how to find the deemed rates for scottish power's electricity and the formula to calculate them. I've got read1, read2 and total figures, but cant seem to find on their website or elsewhere what the rates are (both the variable and the standing charge, etc.).

Does anybody know what they are or can point me to where they are published (the Scottish Power website doesn't seem to have them)

Cheers

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

here's a link to standard prices.

To calculate,

daily service charge x number of days since last bill,

today's reading minus previous reading, x unit price,

add together for total.

Use the including vat price.
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think "deemed rates" normally apply to business customers when a contract has run out and isn't renewed. Domestic customers coming off a fixed rate just go onto the standard variable rate. If you are a business, you need to get off deemed rates asap as they are punitive.
    Je suis sabot...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Domestic eco 7 tariffs for Scot Power( in S.Yorks area )are 12.95 day/5.65 night inc Vat,19.57 daily charge .This is Sept 2016 online fix..Don t forget to work out what rates 1 and 2 are as they can be either day or night depending how the meter was set up. T can be ignored.
  • lightswitchon
    Options
    FugalMacDugal,

Thanks, for your help.

I've come across his document before, but wasn't sure that deemed and standard are the same thing (I'm assuming that deemed is the most expensive price that they can actually charge me).

Are standard rates the same as deemed rates?

Hoof Hearted,

Unfortunately this is definitely a deemed contract.

Cheers
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    It is standard practice when you move into a property to be placed on a legally binding 'deemed contract' with the existing supplier. The tariff you will be placed on is the supplier's standard tariff - which is their most expensive other than some long term fixed tariffs.

In the case of Scottish power(SP) you can ask to be placed on one of their much cheaper fixed tariffs. As these do not attract any financial penalty for leaving early, you can still switch to a more favoured supplier whist on the SP fixed tariff.
  • modsandmockers
    Options
    In 4-5 posts, this thread has achieved an unsurpassed level of mystery, and the energy suppliers will be laughing up their sleeves.

I have heard of a deemed contract, and I have heard of standard (variable) prices. I have never heard of deemed prices. Dugal’s link refers to domestic prices, and H’Hearted’s post refers to business tariffs.

The OP’s second post does not confirm whether he/she is a business or a domestic customer, but confirms that he/she is ‘unfortunately’ on a deemed contract. The whole point of a deemed contract is that it is a default situation which you need to get away from as soon as you can. All you have to do is call the supplier and ask for a switch.

But the original post raises a very important point - energy suppliers deliberately do everything they can to make it difficult for their customers to find a simple answer to the question “how are my energy costs calculated?”.
    mad mocs - the pavement worrier
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi, for domestic customers a 'Deemed contract' is when you move into a property that we supply with gas and/or electricity, and we are 'deemed' to have a contract in place to invoice you for gas and electricity usage. In this scenario you would be charged on ScottishPower's standard rates/daily standing charge. You can view standard prices on the ScottishPower website (https://www.scottishpower.co.uk) by going to 'View Tariffs', and then selecting the Quick Links at the bottom of the screen. This brings up the information for our current tariffs, including Standard Online - if you click on this it will bring up the PDF document with the prices charged for on our Standard service packages. If you're property is a business premise then you would be best to contact our Small Business Customer Service Centre where one of our advisers will talk you through the prices applicable to your property. Hope this is helpful
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    But the original post raises a very important point - energy suppliers deliberately do everything they can to make it difficult for their customers to find a simple answer to the question “how are my energy costs calculated?”.

That is simply not true.

Finding tariff prices on company sites without going through a 'quote' can be unjustifiably awkward - but calculating said cost is trivial.
  • modsandmockers
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    That is simply not true.

Finding tariff prices on company sites without going through a 'quote' can be unjustifiably awkward - but calculating said cost is trivial.
    Yes, but you can't do the calculation until you have found the tariff prices and, as you say, finding the tariff prices is frequently far from straightforward. And, even if they have found the tariff information label, there are huge numbers of people who glaze over at the sight of it and allow themselves to be sucked into the the minefield of estimated meter readings and energy supplier incompetence.
    mad mocs - the pavement worrier
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport