Moving mortgage to hasten payoff- too much like hard work?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
3 replies 711 views
wensdaywensday Forumite
83 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
We are almost 10yrs into our first mortgage.

A 2yr fixed then tracker. We intended to overpay when interest rates fell but didn't get around to it :o
So now we are 10yrs in and only paid 25% of it.

Thinking of swapping to a fixed, we could pay almost double what we currently do, after promotions in work etc.

Do I stick with HSBC and their offers, or move elsewhere?
I remember it being really difficult last time and signed up to all kinds with HSBC like life insurance and income protection etc.

Bit worried I will sign my life away again!

Thanks so much for reading.

Replies

• Kantankrus_MareKantankrus_Mare Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are in the process of remortgaging with Nationwide for a 5 year fix.

Bit of a pain going through 3 hour interview with them wanting to know every little detail of our finances but she managed to save us £70 per month on our current mortgage so happy with that.

Of course we got the hard sell about what would happen if either of us were to get a serious illness or had an accident?

It would have cost us £67 a amonth for critical illness cover and she wondered why we declined.

Of course I can see it would be helpful if something terrible was to happen but we already have life cover and terminal illness cover for a lot less.

Just waiting for it all to be confirmed now.

We are probably in different position to you though. Have ten years left on mortgage in total.

Good luck with what you decide.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £40
  • wensdaywensday Forumite
    83 Posts
    Thanks, we panicked at all the hard sell last time, we were only 22 and 24 and it was all a bit scary!
  • RavingMadRavingMad Forumite
    427 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    If you're not intending to change anything on your mortgage, then you should be able to choose a new product online without speaking to HSBC. I log on every month to see I qualify for a better rate and have changed products three times over two years.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals