Plastic sheds any good?

I need to replace my wooden shed which has rotted round the bottom so I've been looking round.

I've seen some metal sheds but they seem a bit flimsy and dent easily. and I would also imagine they might rust or have issues with condensation.

I've also been looking at plastic sheds and while these look and great new, I am wondering how they will stand up to use. Do they break easily or become brittle with age and sunlight?

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    I do not know if they become brittle but I would not have them. Think it through...pvcu windows, fascias and gutters fade when in brown or black. There are fascias in Rosewood fitted to houses adjacent to me that have turned white in well under ten years. Sheds are not regulated, so are likely to be worse.
  • Jeannine
    Jeannine Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well, we bought a plastic shed a few years ago and it was cheaper than a wooden one, straightforward to assemble and it has not faded or fallen down. It's not the prettiest thing to look at but as ours is at the bottom of the garden and fairly well screened that didn't matter too much...
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Jeannine wrote: »
    Well, we bought a plastic shed a few years ago and it was cheaper than a wooden one, straightforward to assemble and it has not faded or fallen down. It's not the prettiest thing to look at but as ours is at the bottom of the garden and fairly well screened that didn't matter too much...

A few years is not a fair time to judge a shed life but I accept your point. I have seen plastic sheds in Costco but the prices have appeared extortionate. I have not committed these prices to memory and my mind said buy a timber shed instead. Provided timber sheds are erected with a common sense approach, protected from rot by a roof covering and a dpc detail, and adequately treated then the lifespan would be many decades. Hence why buy plastic?
  • Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    £650 plus furts , a rip off!
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yeah, the 8x6 Keter plastic shed I was looking at was about £575.

Good point about the longevity of the wooden sheds - the one I need to replace is about 30 years old and has only rotted around the bottom because it's stuffed too full which has popped the boards apart and let water in. I've re-felted it twice but stopped treating it about 5 years ago which hasn't helped.

The plastic ones just seemed so much cleaner, but that might be because they are new.

I think on balance I'll stick with wood as it will probably see me out and I can also put shelves and hanging nails where I want.

Thanks all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport