PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Daily Saturday 29th August

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Goodness!! where is everyone?

Fine but breezy morning. OH was up and off to the stables for manure, no one there so he came home and worked in the garden putting in the last of the plants and repotting the camellia and hydranga.

I cleaned the kitchen, moved everything that could be moved, washed the floor, am now shattered, will be doing nothing else except cook the supper.

We are on to winter breakfasts, OH asked for cornflakes whilst it was so hot, we finished the packet yesterday so today we were back onto porridge. He is having a job getting used to the electric cooker, we have had gas in the last few houses we have lived in so always had a gas hob. He will get there eventually.

The new kettle and toaster are in use I decided to go with De'longhi, we have had their heaters and they have been very good, in fact I am still using one I bought over 20 years ago. There is a 2 year guarantee, maybe I will be lucky.

WE seem to be having a spate of spiders. I hate the blooming things and over the last week have euthanazied several, 2 in one night last night. They are not little spiders but big efforts with long legs that can run fast!! I have chestnuts everywhere but they seem to have lost their power, if indeed they ever had any over spiders. Uggghhhhh!!
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for starting the thread Csarina. PS - the forum has been down all morning being maintained.

I've now got four new windows at the back of the house :j All the final bits of work were finished this morning and the blokes have just left. I'm so pleased with their work, their craftsmanship and the care they took over the making and installation. Now the winter won't be so bad inside the house with all the north facing windows double-glazed. And I've sent over the payment by faster payment so he's happy too!

Earlier I went out to post a parcel to family in Oz and done a washing load which even got hung out in the very blowy garden. I've just gone out to bring it in as the rain started but it's three-quarters dry.

Now I've got time for some breakfast so porridge is in the microwave. Once I've had that I'll take myself to see some of the venues in this years' ArtMap event. Think there are over 40 but I won't get to them all. There are two or three fairly nearby so they'll be the first to be visited.

I hope everyone's having a good Saturday.
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone :hello:

Thank you to csarina for starting the thread. It is a lovely afternoon thank goodness as we have mad milo staying here again for the weekend. Max was overjoyed, a little too overjoyed as he started humping him. It was the first time that had happened and I think Max was as surprised as Milo! Anyway, they have run themselves ragged in the garden and are now currently sleeping next to me.

Hubby has just made a lovely cooked breakfast/brunch thingy which I really enjoyed. I'm not eating bread or anything else too carby as my blood sugars have been a bit rubbish so I'm finding breakfasts a bit tricky as I lived off toast. I've made a lovely chicken and leek soup for dinner and I have decided that in the future my main cooked meal will be at lunchtime.

I had a Lakeland order delivered this morning of some new cake tins, liners and soup bags. I also got a jam thermometer should the mood and oportunity strike me :). I am definitely enjoying baking more even if I don't get to eat it. I worked out the other day that I was spending nearly 25 quid a month just on after school snacks so I want to make them instead and hopefully save some money, or at least know what is in them.

The girls have been very good cleaning and tidying the house for me. I will see if they fancy a movie night with some popcorn and sweets as a reward. They are nearly ready for school, I just need to get some shoes and coats for them and that should be it. Just one more week till they go back, the holidays have flown by.

Well, that's it from me, hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Afternoon all
    I popped in this morning & the forum was down for maintenance & I've only just got back online as I've been so busy.
    I have DGD's aged 11 months & 4 years old here plus dog, since yesterday morning.
    I'm not sleeping well, there are new streetlights in the road, they are very bright & shine in the front & back windows.
    I've fed a colleague's cat today for the last time this holidays, made cakes with DGD4 and been shopping & prepped food for tonight as we have visitors later.
    I've got a load of washing dry under cover, changed umpteen nappies & lugged around my gorgeous DGD who weighs an absolute ton.
    I need to take the dog for a walk later, yesterday we took the dog & granddaughters along the river & stopped at the cafe for an ice cream.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Afternoon everyone, I had a treat this morning, my lovely neighbour came to see if I'd like to go for a walk with her and their spaniel Brodie, it was so nice to be walking a dog again we drove to the woods and did a lovely woodsy walk and came back across a big stretch of grazing land known as Admirals Field. We met a friend of hers with their two dobermans who walked with us and it was gorgeous.

I've just made us Pea Falafels and minty cous cous for lunch which was tasty and I'm waiting for some apple puree and some oven roasted tomatoes to cool down so I can bag them up and freeze them. I'll wander up the garden and pick what needs picking later this afternoon and get that sorted and frozen too.

Hope you've all got this spell of dry warm weather, nice to be outside and not rained on!

Have a nice day all, Lyn xxx.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Been busy all morning - forst off Lizzie's walk and brekkie, then into town for a slightly belated (3 months late) visit to the optician.

As I expected, I have to have new specs. This is why the visit was deferred - I knew I would need new specs, and couldn't afford them til now. Fortunately I had £35 in vouchers from doing online surveys, all of which the Opticians accept, so that numbed the pain in my credit card a bit.:D
    Bad news is I have blepharitis. So I have to speak to my GP about special lotion for that, also eye drops to offset the Sjogrens syndrome that is drying my eyes out. Luckily I'm seeing the GP on Thursday anyway for a meds check, and can just ask her to wallop these extra items on my script.
    And for once, I'm actually getting to see my GP of choice! Appointments with her are as rare as hens' teeth!:D

I can hear strange noises emanating from the bathroom - I think Mr LW is cleaning the bath lift.:A
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Afternoon all. It doesn't know what to do today, the sun is in and out and cloud alternating between white and grey, but no rain fortunately! And yesterday's strong wind has dropped which is a bonus.

I popped into town early this morning on the bus as there were odd bits I wanted but I was down and back quick smart, and only came back with what I needed.

I had a phone call from DD (still on holiday on the IOW) to tell me their elderly ailing puss cat had died this morning. Their next door neighbour was looking after her, giving her her medication etc but this morning she had a relapse and they had to rush her to the vet but, unfortunately she passed away on the examination table. It's put a dampener on their last few days holiday down there. Poor puss cat I'll miss her myself, she was such an amiable old girl.

Happy new windows GERS! What difference they'll make this winter.

Have a good day all (((HUGS))) if needed. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • wealthygirl
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

Well it has been lovely all morning, so have been pottering in the garden and have some washing on the line.

DH is out on appointments, so don't know when he will be home.

DD has only just got up:eek: It's not that she has been busy or anything like that.:D DS is up and will be going off to work soon. I've made cheese and spinach pinwheels and cooked him 2 for his meal with some salad and a few oven chips. We will have ours this evening. I try to make sure DS has something reasonably healthy to eat at home, as I know he just eats rubbish at work.

It has clouded over a bit, but there's still a couple of jobs I want to do outside and then plenty of stuff to do indoors if it rains.:)

We have tomatoes which we are picking, but don't think I have enough to make sauces, I hadn't thought of roasting them Mrs LW. When you defrost them, do you just reheat them?

Have a great Saturday everyone x
    SPC 11 #445
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    WEALTHYGIRL I oven roast the tomatoes and when they are cool put them through a sieve and then freeze the tomato pulp in silicone ice cube trays. If the tomato is very liquid I pop it on the hob to reduce a bit in volume. It makes almost PASSATA and I use lots of that in pasta sauces. It takes much less room in the freezer doing this than freezing the tomatoes whole plus I've already cooked them so it saves a bit of fuel too.
  • wealthygirl
    Options
    WEALTHYGIRL I oven roast the tomatoes and when they are cool put them through a sieve and then freeze the tomato pulp in silicone ice cube trays. If the tomato is very liquid I pop it on the hob to reduce a bit in volume. It makes almost PASSATA and I use lots of that in pasta sauces. It takes much less room in the freezer doing this than freezing the tomatoes whole plus I've already cooked them so it saves a bit of fuel too.

Thank you very much for that idea, Mrs Lurchwalker, I will have a go, as we have a lot of tomatoes that are ripening off so I was wondering what to do with them, so they don't go to waste as only me and hubby like tomatoes in salads, children will eat them in sauces etc though. I would like to have a go at a tomato chutney as well, but haven't found a suitable recipe, does anybody have a tried and tested one? I would be most grateful.
    SPC 11 #445
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport