🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Default on credit file - Who owns this debt?

Options
I'm hoping I can get some advice on my current credit / 'debt' situation.

In October 2014 I email Avon saying I had left the company in January 2014 but was still receiving emails / phone calls because someone else was using my account. The email / phone calls stopped so I assume the matter resolved.

This month I started getting letters (no idea how they got my address since I've moved twice & left the country for 8 months since working with Avon - surely they've illegally accessed my personal information somehow?) from Lowell Group claiming I owe a debt of £122 with Avon (caused by the ***** who was using my account from January - October).

I checked my credit file today which lists a default with Avon in November 2014. This is the first I'm hearing of it - it might be possible that they sent a default notice letter to the address I was registered with Avon, but I did state in the email I sent that I was no longer living in the country, so surely that kind of makes it obvious I'm no longer at my previous address (also they could have contacted by phone or email but didn't).

My question is - since this default is still registed with Avon, but Lowell Group have clearly bought the debt, who technically is in charge of the default in my credit file? Surely now that the debt has been sold to Lowell Group I no longer owe anything to Avon & the default should have been changed from Avon to Lowell Group?

I'm determind to get this default removed & am pretty annoyed that the first I'm hearing about it is almost a year later. It's made moving back to English & trying to set up a life for myself & my parter a lot more complicated since my credit rating is now waaaay down because of it.

If anyone is able to give any advice on where to go from here I will be eternally greatful.

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This month I started getting letters (no idea how they got my address since I've moved twice & left the country for 8 months since working with Avon - surely they've illegally accessed my personal information somehow?) from Lowell Group claiming I owe a debt of £122 with Avon (caused by the ***** who was using my account from January - October).

There's a service called GAIN. Stands for "Gone Away Information Network". Accounts can be monitored and the DCA's advised.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport