Journey to... adulthood?

Options

Comments

• Urchhhh
    Urchhhh Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I never once said it was priority - I literally said I was happy to wait until the other one kicked the bucket. Its absolutely terrible but hey it works so I was happy to use it. Since the hoover has loads of life left in it, my actual plan was to use my birthday and Christmas money and buy myself it!
    We are pretty good at saving and I don't see why spending under £100 on something I want is bad... I know a lot of people who are worse! My friend I went shopping on Sat with spent the same on an outfit for one night! I've only posted my savings on the things I want to improve on, we have a lot more savings. We are pretty good at saving.
    I can understand your point if I was struggling to pay my bills and surrounded by debt... but I'm not.
  • Urchhhh
    Options
    I give myself 'pocket money' every month so just put a little bit more into my personal savings from it.
    £121.85/£450

Really struggling to work out a budget for America. Taxis are so expensive but so is hiring a car for a 21 year old and I'm not a confident driver so not sure how I would cope with it. Some journeys we need to make there is no viable public transport options!
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Blimey people :eek:The OP's got to have some fun. :jSo what if they bought a Hetty? That's hardly something contraband.You don't have to live in sackcloth and ashes or in the wilderness waiting for manna from Heaven. If you don't treat yourself occasionally everyone would just give up. :rotfl:
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    The MSE money saving mantra is ask "do I need to spend this?"

My money saving mantra is ask "how many hours do I have to work to buy this thing I don't really need, but want"

Every £15 I don't spend NOW is 1 hour I can knock off my retirement date in 2033.
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Hello Mr Prothet of Doom, I understand the kind thoughts behind your post and the advice offered but we must remember the OP is a 21 year old and a new poster to boot. I am of the opinion that she is allowed the odd treat in the short term whereas you would focus more on the long term benefits. Everyone has their own financial saving goals at different stages in their lives and she must be free to make her own decisions. She is just beginning her money saving journey and will probably be a millionaire by 30 at this rate.

Debate is to be applauded and i am sure we will all learn from this.I am grateful to have had the chance to have discussed this with you. Even i will think twice now before i spend this week. With any luck i might lose some weight too lol!!!!:j
  • Urchhhh
    Options
    I definitely appreciate the opinions that have been said and when we start our house deposit savings (which will be at some point next year when we've finished saving for this holiday - its turning out so expensive!) we will be doing the 'Do I need this?'.
    I don't really splash cash ever, I don't buy new clothes and all my daughters clothes are secondhand or were gifts. Actually nearly everything she owns is secondhand, was gifted to us or was bought on sale, theres only a few things I bought myself full price!

And savingwannabe, a millionaire at 30? Heres to hoping haha!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What are you going to do with the old Hoover? You might be able to sell it on for a few quid.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Urchhhh
    Options
    Yeah was planning on selling it off for a fiver or so! Its got loads of life in it so definitely going to ensure it goes to someone else

Just checked my accounts this morning and BT have finally refunded me! They overcharged me by £135 which I didn't have to spare and had to scrape together from all the money we had in our 'pocket money' we had at the time and my savings account. It took them 3 months to give it back but I finally have it woo!
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Well done on refund from BT! Well done on saving money on your clothes and fab idea to sell old vac on fleabay. You have your head screwed on missus.

Wish i'd known this at 21. Have you met Lala yet, Mrs Upside down Bear , Aesop, Bibliophile and StereoChild. They are smart like you and we all help each other along. Some (ie me) of us are slightly slower than others ! :money:
  • Urchhhh
    Options
    I've not ventured too far into others diaries yet - it is on my to do list after I finish my researching.
    The past week or so I've been researching for our holiday.
    $120 return taxi journey or a half hour walk to the bus stop and then a 45 min bus for $4 return each... We're just going to have strong legs when we come back!
    Its so confusing but I'm positive it will be better when we save money:)
    Trying to find any corner to cut to make sure we save money, its so boring though!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure