London plasterer quote: £1175 for 2 ceilings

In South London (zone3/4). I have 2 bedrooms, one large one medium size, in total approx 30 sq m in total. Both ceilings have cracks and sagg a little due to ageing joists in loft, but replacement not an option at present.

A plasterer has quoted me to:
a) 'level out' ceilings i.e. make flat through packing the higher parts with extra bonding then 2 skim coats of plaster over whole ceiling, plus
b) make walls good and skim around architraves for 4 sets of double windows (where wall plaster has been damaged through installing new windows).

He claims 3 days work, but looks like the job will be done closer to 2. £1175, 2 men labour and materials all in.

Anyone else think this is paying about 20%-30% too much?:mad:

Many thanks.

Comments

• tired_dad
    tired_dad Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    5y ago paid £1800 to skim the ceilings of the 3500sqft house. Great job, still looks good.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    It seems very high. You need other quotes. Whereabouts in London are you?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • wow my plasterer works for £120 a day and £70 for his labour ..... so working on that theory £480 inc materials for 2 days, obviously being in london prices are higher but still that gives you an idea
  • That's well over-priced for the job described. We've had something similar a couple of weeks ago and that included painting & decorating, and the price was just a tad shy of £900 all in incl VAT. We weren't the cheapest btw! Got the job anyways as this was for an old client of mine who always check if we aren't out of line in terms of the price :).

Thomas.
  • If the ceilings are cracking and sagging I wouldn't skim as they are.

Batten and line with new plasterboard screwed through to the joists to strengthen and stiffen the ceiling, then tape the joints and fill.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • chubsta
    chubsta Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    my kitchen diner is 11 feet by 23, to have the ceiling reboarded (water damaged) and the walls plastered (3 doorways and 2 sets of windows to work around) cost £800 and took just under 3 days work in total - a great job was done too, very happy with it.

I am in the SE but not in London so would expect London prices to be higher but not that high, and i would not skim the ceilings either, get the old boards down and a new ceiling put in, otherwise it will never be right.

doesn't seem too bad a quote to me...
    Mortgage free!
    Debt free!

Time poor...
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Just had two large ceilings done in Nottingham for £500 inc materials
  • brightontraveller
    brightontraveller Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2015 at 7:13PM
    That's well over-priced for the job described. We've had something similar a couple of weeks ago and that included painting & decorating, and the price was just a tad shy of £900 all in incl VAT. We weren't the cheapest btw! Got the job anyways as this was for an old client of mine who always check if we aren't out of line in terms of the price :).

Thomas.
    :rotfl:............
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family