🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Struggle for compensation over false delinquency on report

Options
Hi guys/gals,

I would much appreciate any advice on this problem..

A finance company put a false delinquency on my callcredit report which was on for 2 years (as I didn't know callcredit existed). My Credit rates seemed bad so I investigated. When I discovered this I asked for it to be removed, which it quickly was and my credit score jumped from 1/5 to 3/5.

I then put some calculations together of my losses in excess interest based on the general Apr's prior to & since the false entry on my report where I had taken out loans. It came into the thousands.

I complained & asked for compensation. They offered £100 goodwill but said that they didn't believe my bank (RBS) would use such a small company (callcredit) to base their decisions. But they would review if I could provide evidence that RBS did. I provided this evidence then they completely changed the goalposts.

They asked for specific evidence that the error they made led to the exact APR's offered to me rather than a lower one. The bank basically told me it's impossible so I complained to the finance company again & ended up sending a letter of deadlock which they ignored.

I took the case to the ombudsman and he has agreed I need to provide more info. Now the bank has said informally that it would be extremely hard due to all the factors involved. Officially they have to raise it as a complaint to pass it high enough up to get investigated which could still take many weeks. Unfortunately the ombudsman obviously has some kind of short time frame and or is being pressured into closing the file, so has sent a letter saying the bank passed my loans straightforwardly so the error had no effect, which I don't believe in the slightest. That to me is a lazy response. He has got the company to agree to increase my offer to £200.

Now the question is, do I push this seemingly impossible case, or do I just give up and take the hit? The thing that really annoys me is that the error was conveniently put on my credit file at the exact time I was in dispute with the finance company in question over the quality of a product (which incidentally I eventually won)

Thanks in advance for any advice. N.

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do you mean by "an error" ? Did you default on any payments at all ? You say you were in dispute with a finance company, did you not pay them, causing a default ? If you did then it's not an error. Disputing the quality of a product doesn't mean you can stop paying.
  • Nobby2
    Options
    Hi Meer,

Thanks for the response. Well they claim it was an error but I think it was sneaky & deliberate. I paid every single payment despite not being able to use the car for over 1 year! They screwed me with dodgy inspections that found the car was fine and in the end I paid for my own inspection that found completely in my favour. I am an engineer to so I knew the car was faulty.

And tbh I'm even more annoyed that I settled that complaint and am well out of pocket there too. They took the car back, cancelled my agreement & paid me off, but much to my disadvantage. I was so fed up I agreed just to end the pain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport