🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

CRAs View on Arrangements to Pay

Options
Do you have an historical Arrangements to Pay (APs) in your financial history, and if so how does your credit file reflect them?

Nearly two years ago my OHs bank recalled his overdraft. We couldn't afford £900 a once so he called the bank and they agreed to reduce the overdraft steadily over four months. We (over)paid this and presumed that everyone was happy.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and, after casually mentioning the AP on the mortgage board, I was informed that this would look really bad for a mortgage application. As bad, even, as a default.

My question is, why don't Experian or Equifax mention this?

I know that their scores are arrived at using different algorithms, and that lenders use their own computations to decide whether they will lend but I think even Martin Lewis advises they provide a very broad guide. And, even setting aside that fact that my OHs score was showing as 999 the APs themselves were marked in a way that a person would presume it was neutral information.

Equifax presented it as little grey circles with AP in them - not red or orange, which they seem to use for other adverse information. And Experian simply add two lines at the top saying 'arrangement start' and 'arrangement end'. Neither CRA explains that the AP might be a bad thing in the same manner that they flag up, say, not being on the electoral roll, or using a lot of available credit. How can they be allowed to get away with that.

As the arrangement was only short and we weren't informed of the effect it would have on his file, my OH managed to get the bank to ask the CRAs to remove the information. On the day the APs disappeared his 'score' shot up to 'excellent' with Equifax (so at least the information was reflected in their algorithim) but, as I say, Experian already declared him as 999 so there was no accounting for it there.

As I say, I am aware that the scores themselves should be taken with a pinch of salt, but how can the CRAs be allowed to get away without explaining that having an AP is bad? We honestly didn't know and, without me trawling these boards, I suspect that we'd have gone ahead and been rejected for a mortgage.
Grateful to finally be debt free!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Use a broker for your morgage app. He should have a good idea of which lenders may view APs the least negatively.

They're obviously not good, as it should you didn't keep to the agreement, but it's arguably better than having defaulted entirely and skipped the country.
  • cakeforbrains
    Options
    Use a broker for your morgage app. He should have a good idea of which lenders may view APs the least negatively.

They're obviously not good, as it should you didn't keep to the agreement, but it's arguably better than having defaulted entirely and skipped the country.

Thank you. Yes, we are using a broker, but the AP markers are gone now as if they hadn't existed, so presumably it's not going to present a problem with the mortgage.

I'm just annoyed that the CRAs don't even point out that APs are bad. They present them as neutral.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm just annoyed that the CRAs don't even point out that APs are bad. They present them as neutral.

CRA's don't lend money. They simply collect and process data. What's viewed as bad is a matter for the lender concerned.
  • cakeforbrains
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    CRA's don't lend money. They simply collect and process data. What's viewed as bad is a matter for the lender concerned.

Yes, you make a good point. And I know that lenders put more or less weight on different things.

That said, CRAs are happy to describe information as 'negative' or 'positive'. That's the crux of their business model (with the individual). So how can they be allowed to describe APs as 'neutral'?
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, you make a good point. And I know that lenders put more or less weight on different things.

That said, CRAs are happy to describe information as 'negative' or 'positive'. That's the crux of their business model (with the individual). So how can they be allowed to describe APs as 'neutral'?

They are not regulated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family