Haggle with AA, Admiral & more

Options
2»

Comments

• sue_brew
    sue_brew Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just rang saga to haggle my policy. Told them I had a cheaper quote but she just told me it didn't have the benefits that I already had and she couldn't do mine any less.
    I rang back 10 minutes later with the next quote, which was only a couple of quid cheaper. he offered to drop my quote by a few pounds and also included £35 worth of breakdown cover. not a massive deal but i'm ok with that ;)
  • paintbrush
    Options
    Can you tell me how I might be able to haggle with a motor insurance company, Adrian Flux, when having been insured with them for two years without incident, claim etc, I am told Sorry, there's no market for your vehicle, we wont renew your policy.

This happened in January of this year and with another vehicle still insured with the same company (Equity Red Star), through Flux, should I try again, given that this is now a new financial year and quotas will have changed or just take all of my business (3 vehicles now) elsewhere?
    Their rep on a seperate forum asked for the detail, I sent it and heard absolutely nothing.
  • thefabricman
    Options
    Just got my renewal from AA ,last year £244. this year £324! Got quotes elswhere all around £240-£250. Phoned AA had a friendly discussion on why a 50% increase kept it friendly. Told lady at AA about other quotes for same cover she came back with £257. I said if you can get to £240 I will renew. She came back with £239 so saved a tad under £100. And kept it friendly thats important make them think they have been helpful, which they had.
  • solvent_saver
    Options
    Because they 'want to keep me as a customer', Saga reduced the car renewal quote by nearly £40 in a telephone call. When I asked why, if I had not had the health or time to telephone to question the renewal cost, I would have been penalised, I was told 'there is no guarantee that we can do this on each occasion'.

They have lost me as a customer anyway, because I don't like the implicit penalty for loyalty.
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I'm finding with the AA, not being on auto renew affects renewal premiums. When I was on auto renew they used to try increases of up to £100 each year. Now I've opted out of autorenew, and have to actively renew each year the increase is no more than £20 ( not that stops me haggling and still getting it lowered ;) )
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    I saved £28 by making a phone call to AA regarding home insurance. Said I was not prepared to pay a rise of more than 25%. In the end I paid only £10 extra.
  • kev2009
    kev2009 Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi all,

Just received my AA renewal Gold Membership for Road side Assistance & Complimentary Home Start at £89.64.

Do you think any way to get this reduced? I've been a member for many many years and I've not had to call them out for at least 10 years, maybe more.

I like knowing i'm covered for help but I was hoping they would reduce the cost as not had to call them for ages.

Thanks

Kev
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gone back to using a High Street broker. Super efficient. Friendly. No spending hours on the phone or computer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback