Am I entitled to anything?

Options
Hello, I have phoned citizens advice but the person I spoke to wasn't helpful and I wonder if someone can help or point me in the right direction.
I am currently on maternity leave but due to go back to work in January, when my half pay finishes and smp starts, and I want to explore my options re going back part time and any benefits I may be entitled to.
My husband earns 29000 and my salary currently is 24000 and we have a mortgage
Ideally I would like to not have to return to work so soon, if at all but would also like to investigate working part time. I have tried various calculators but don't really understand all the various benefits and ended up more confused.
If anyone can help, it would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Child benefit?
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you just have the one child?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Laura1980 wrote: »
    I have phoned citizens advice but the person I spoke to wasn't helpful

Did they not tell you what you wanted to hear?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You company are not obliged to employ you on a different contract to the one that you had when you went onto maternity leave. So don't bank your hopes on going back part time.

Apart from child benefit I cant see you being entitled to any benefits with your oh earning so much added to the child benefit.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    Did they not tell you what you wanted to hear?

Some CA people are very knowledgable, other less so (being kind).
  • giddypenguin
    Options
    Discuss with your company now whether they would be open to the idea of you going back part-time and what hours would fit in with their business plan. If it's a non-starter it's best you know soon so you can plan accordingly.

If you have childcare costs you may be entitled to tax credits - but the only way to figure it out is to plug a load of different numbers into entitledto.co.uk and see how that effects the outcome. Look into average nursery/childminder fees for your area to get a better idea.

I cannot see you being entitled to anything if you don't work/have childcare costs due to your husband's income.
  • PlymouthMaid
    PlymouthMaid Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think you will qualify for anything other then child benefit as your situation financially sounds very similar to my daughters and they will get nothing. Basically she has worked out that she will be £40 a month better off by working part time than by staying at home but it is more about keeping her career hopes afloat than anything at this stage. Things will improve slightly when their daughter is 3 as currently there is help for childcare then but that could all change of course.
    "'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life
    Try to make ends meet
    You're a slave to money then you die"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills