Great Hunt: What do you wish you'd known before you arrived at uni?

Options
2»

Comments

• jodiejj
    jodiejj Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 28 August 2015 at 8:59AM
    Options
    It might sound obvious- but an overdraft isn't free money. Two weeks after graduating my bank were on my back about paying it back within a month before interest kicks in.

Go to church and community centre cafes for lunch. Cheap, tasty food and it is refreshing sitting in a room with people of all ages rather than just students. Any Edinburgh students, check out Carubbers caf!. on the Royal Mile, Bethany Charity shop caf!. in Summerhall or Nicholson Square Methodist cafe. I've heard the Mosque kitchen is good too- came after my time.
  • career.bee
    career.bee Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 28 August 2015 at 1:11PM
    Options
    1. Own brand is often nicer and is much cheaper. Equally, pound shops are a rip off for some things.
    2.Shopping around if you live in an area with more than one supermarket is not as embarrassing as you thought.
    3. During your final year try NOT to rent a house which is September - September lease. I wish I'd known that my university only counted me as a student until July / August and I would be stung with a council tax bill for the remaining month of my tenancy! (I was stung with £100.)
    4. Do not take responsibility for paying the bills because some of your 'lovely' housemates will not pay up and you will be the sucker left with the cost if your name is on the account.
    5. Get a student card and use it. And if you forget to take it with you, ask anyway because some shops are used to students and apply discount automatically.
    6. Be yourself. You're all new and in the same boat.
  • pcyuljr
    pcyuljr Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    I wish I'd realised that everybody is 18, everybody is in the same boat, and everybody is looking to make friends. If you have confidence in yourself, you will enjoy the experience a lot more.

Buy the single girls (or boys!) a drink in the hall bar. Chat to them. Engage and be humourous. Don't be shy...leave to all the other people who don't see the bigger picture.

How is this money saving advice I hear you ask? Well if you do this at the cheap uni bars, it may save you a having to do it in the expensive city centre bars after you've graduated!
  • MerlinMags
    Options
    HOW TO COOK.

Nothing else. If only I had known how to avoid eating tinned tuna and pasta for three years....
  • villanova
    Options
    I slightly disagree on books above. I think some books may be worth buying, if you're the type who likes annotating your texts, or plan to enter that field and will use the book later (I'm still using a stats textbook 26 years after graduating), but ask students in the year above for recommendations. Organise a 2nd hand book sale if your department doesn't already have one at the start of semesters. Also, don't get the cheapest accommodation (might apply more in the second year). If the house is too much of a hovel, you'll spend money trying not to go home (coffee shops, gym, bar etc).
  • PeonySugar
    Options
    If you're studying law, please please please budget to buy the law express books. These are concise to the point life saving gems that tell you exactly what you need to understand and nothing more. It's impossible to buy second hand law books because they need to be up to date so try share with people on your course or you will end up spending £300 on books each semester.

Have a jar that you put loose change into so that you have money to do washing.

Number one tip: have a separate online saving account that always without fail has enough money in it to get you back to your home . You never know when or why you may need to get back to your family so it's so important to have that there just in case.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Salmon head soup.

Sometimes you can get the head free. I can get a huge one for 50p.

The key ingredient is ginger, which reduces the fishy smell. Salt, spring onion.

Simmer for 10 minutes after bring to boil.

Alas, the leftover is very stinky, so you need to finish it in 24 hours, and throw it out in the brown bin (in compostable bag, naturally).

It's a very versatile soup base for adding all kinds of stuff.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you decide to rent a property with friends, check your tenancy agreement before you sign - if it is a joint agreement then you are all jointly liable for the rent. So, if one of your friends decides not to pay the rent or decides to disappear, you (and your guarantor) will be responsible for the shortfall. I know quite a few people who had a big shock when they realised that was the case.

Also, never, ever, ever open a joint bank account with your housemates. You do not want to end up being financially linked to a stranger and remember, if you can all put money in you can all take money out too - again, some friends of mine had a rude awakening with that one.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you can look for a landlord who offers All-Inclusive rent when you are renting as part of a large group (5 or more )
    Ask for a copy of the tenancy agreement before you sign ( emailed to the lead tenant)
    He or she can then forward to the rest of the group and parents/guarantors.
    Many landlords ask for Joint and several tenancy agreements due to Tenants refusing to name which tenant has caused any damage !!!!
    If no one admits to causing the damage the landlord can deduct the cost of repairs from the whole deposit.
    If there is a University housing office or housing officer then contact them to get a guide on what to look out for !
    Smoke alarms mains wired, CO Alarm is a legal requirement from 1 of October 2015,
    Alarm system and good security lighting, Modern heating with controls on room radiators, What conditions is the outside and inside of the property in ?
    Old beds with stains on the mattress :-( , Holes in the walls or flaking paint on walls and ceilings.
    Does the kitchen have enough storage space for all the tenants ? You need two fridges and freezers if over 3/4 tenants
  • george4064
    Options
    Join societies/sports social clubs in your first year. It took my 3 years of my 4 year course to join tennis and ping pong society, I wished I joined them in my first year!
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport