Taking an old dog on holiday

Options
We are thinking of booking a week in a dog friendly caravan next month but I'm wondering how best to help my old dog Lucy while she's there with us. She's 13 now and can only walk a short distance.

We have a younger dog aged 7 who's very fit so he will need frequent walks. I don't want to leave Lucy in the caravan on her own so I'm thinking of some form of doggy transport for her, like a pull along cart or something similar.

She won't be with us much longer, sadly, but I'd love her to have one last holiday. At home we take her to the beach regularly and she's happy to have a potter round then a lie down with one of us, watching the world go by.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Wellyboots6
    Wellyboots6 Posts: 2,735 Forumite
    Options
    Could you do short walks but with the opportunity for lots of ball chasing and play time with the younger dog, and she can sunbathe and watch?

A cart could be a good idea if she will take to it. It might take her a bit of getting used to before you go away though.

What about one of the harnesses with a handle on the back? Some friends use one to help support their dogs back end when they are walking. It doesn't increase the distance the dog can walk much, but does seem to make it a more comfortable walk
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We purchased a dog buggy for our elderly westie. We chose quite a large sturdy one and could actually fit all three of our small dogs in.
    It was brilliant for holidays when he was too tired to walk far and in the last days when he had cancer I used to pop him in it and wheel him down the road to 'The Green' for a wee so he had the change of scenery without having to walk.

It's been sat folded up for a couple of years now but we've agreed to take it on our next holiday as one of our other dogs is now starting to slow down a little :( . It's actually far easier to wheel a buggy down a crowded high street than it is to walk three dogs who are trying to investigate every lampost and shop doorway . We also load all the picnic gear into the shopping shelf so we don't have to carry it :)

You don't say how big your dog is, this is definitely an issue where size makes a difference.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It deonds on what size and weight is she?

You can get dog pushchairs but make sure it is big enough and is designed for the weight required.

Some people use old prams.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Pet-Supplies-Dog-Strollers/zgbs/pet-supplies/471366031

If it is a small dog you get back packs , like you get for children but with a restraint to stop the dog jumping out, Or a pouch that goes on your front.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the brilliant suggestions. Lucy is a golden retriever cross and weighs 43kg so would need a really strong contraption to be wheeled around in.

I had considered the wheeled cart thing that goes on the back legs but unfortunately her front legs are not good either.

She's happy and well in herself with a great appetite and still plays with her toys and our other dog and her tail's still wagging so it's not quite "time" yet. I want her to enjoy what little time she has left as much as possible so if anything is available that might help, I'll try it for her.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I don't remeber the full details but I have seen a trailer for going on the back of a bike that could also be used by hand.

A google search might find it.

here is an example of a cart for a golden http://www.irishretrieverrescue.com/specials/buggydonation.html
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can get doggy carts, just remember how hot caravans can get, I wouldn't personally ever leave a dog in one.

Doggy will need to be fully stand and lay down in the cart so it could be tricky but I'm sure it could be done.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    Options
    Buggy/cart for smooth paths, and maybe being a bit creative with other walks.

A trip to the beach, an umbrella for Lucy to sit under, your other dog will certainly wear himself out with some wading through the sea and running about on the sand. In fact, anywhere with water could work well if he's a swimmer - requires very little travel from you and Lucy, yet will tire him out nicely.

A gentle potter with Lucy, keeping your boy busy throwing toys backwards and forwards (he'll cover more ground that way), and tire him out with mental stimulation as well (throw his toy in long grass for him to sniff out, or drop it without him seeing and send him back to sniff it out.

Tiring him out back at the caravan should reduce the need for really long walks too. Brain games, interactive food dispensers, long-lasting chews to wear him out. The new sights and sounds on holiday tend to add stimulation anyway.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks sheramber, Gwylim and krlyr. I am inclined towards the kind of cart suggested by sheramber if Lucy will tolerate it because I'd rather not go than upset her too much.

We have one of those pop up shelters for Lucy when on the beach but she loves the water and is a lot more comfortable when wet on a warm day, so we'll be guided by her.

It must be a common problem for owners of two dogs of different ages but thanks to you lovely people on here for your very valuable suggestions.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. Have a look at this blog post I wrote on Saturday. You need something like this. A boxer in his chariot. The couple had a motorhome and they said since getting this it has opened up a whole new world for them.

http://meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/riding-in-style-doggy-story.html

I have an old dog that can't walk very far, he is smaller than yours. I bought a childs pushchair from a car boot sale for £6. We have days out, and we had a camping holiday in Devon, and I was able to push him around and have a nice holiday myself.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills