Wheeled shopping trolleys

Options
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone uses a wheeled shopping trolley?

I have problems walking and issues with my left leg, hip and also lower back. I often use a walking stick to help. I struggled back from the greengrocers to the car today and I have finally realised that I need to buy a trolley.

So, which ones are the best to buy, are they easy to get into the car, or easy to use with a walking stick? Any tips for buying the right type would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

spider.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It could be worth asking your GP for an assessment with an occupational therapist, to get advice on what you need, and to get the right sort of trolley properly adjusted. It may be that rather than using a trolley and a stick, a walking trolley you can lean on would be safer.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    People can give advice on here but you may be better getting professional advice. Your GP may be able to help or you may be able to contact your local council and self refer to see an Occupational Therapist. OTs are probably best placed to give advice. Alternatively you may be able to contact a local disability advice centre. I would NOT contact a local mobility shop since they are more interested in selling than giving advice.

A lot depends on whether you need the trolley for carrying things or for support.

If it is for carrying things then a standard shopping trolley (eg the Sholley) might suffice. It carries a lot but is not good for supporting you if you have significant walking issues.

You can also get mobility trolleys ( they are called Rollators) which have brakes, some have a bag to carry shopping, some have a seat. Some have 3 wheels and some four wheels. The best ones (from the stability viewpoint) are those with large wheels (5-6")
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Lightweight-folding-3-wheel-tri-walker-mobility-aid-wheeled-walking-frame-/261128366570

In my experience the best rollators a the 4 wheel ones with a seat since you then have the option of sitting down if you need a rest but can carry some bags hung on to the framework or placed on the seat.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lightweight-Folding-Rollator-4-Wheel-Walker-Mobility-Walking-Frame-Disabled-Aid-/261440978642

That said 3 wheel rollators tend to fit into a car boot more easily that a 4 wheel one. But of course that depends on the car!. A friend with a 4 wheel rollator finds that it jst about fits in the boot of an Astra hatchback.

I suspect they would be cumbersome to use with a walking stick (although a collapsable walking stick might be easier to carry in a bag attached to the frame.

The links above are only intended to illustrate they types of rollators. I am not endorsing the adverts!
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,

Many thanks for taking the time to answer. I never though of asking for an assessment. I am at the doctors next week and so I will mention it then.

It will probably be more the 3 wheeled type as it is carrying things that I am struggling with.

Thanks again for the help.
    spider
  • Jimmithecat
    Options
    Lots of elderly people in my area use them and my mother in law had one of these that she thought was excellent

http://sholley.com
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lots of elderly people in my area use them and my mother in law had one of these that she thought was excellent

Hi thanks,

My only concern with one that size is fitting it easily into the car.

spider

P.S. I'm not elderly!
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi thanks,

My only concern with one that size is fitting it easily into the car.

spider

P.S. I'm not elderly!

A Sholley will fit into an Astra boot or across the back seat. Obviously if you have Rolls you will not have a problem!

The ease of fitting in a car depends partly on your height If you are short the handle can be lower so it fits more easily. If you are tall you may need to adjust the handle downwards to make it fit. The same thing applies to the rollators.

One think to bear in mind with a Sholley is if you fill it up with heavier items (eg food tins) it can be quite difficult to lift and manipulate into a car without emptying the bag.Another is that if you are inclined to lean on the Sholley there are no brakes.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • tin_can
    tin_can Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    BobQ wrote: »
    A Sholley will fit into an Astra boot or across the back seat. Obviously if you have Rolls you will not have a problem!

The ease of fitting in a car depends partly on your height If you are short the handle can be lower so it fits more easily. If you are tall you may need to adjust the handle downwards to make it fit. The same thing applies to the rollators.

One think to bear in mind with a Sholley is if you fill it up with heavier items (eg food tins) it can be quite difficult to lift and manipulate into a car without emptying the bag.Another is that if you are inclined to lean on the Sholley there are no brakes.
    they come with brakes on them now there at the back, am not old just that broken my arm and shatterd it and ive only got 50% use of my right arm and love my sholly trolly bits
    family mean more to me than money it's call a life
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

wow they are quite impressive
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • jtrunky
    Options
    Spider

I have the same problems as you and i have found the perfect walker aid for my needs and with a shopping trolley all in one, it is easy to get in and out cars its called: below

Lightweight Folding Aluminium Rollator, 3 Wheel Indoor & Outdoor Tri-Walker Mobility Aid

It's Perfect for use inside or out - stay stable wherever you go
    Can be folded quickly for easy transportation & storage
    Adjustable height handles make this tri-walker comfortable for anyone
    Loop handle easy to use lock brakes fitted
    Comes fitted with a basket, bag & tray
    its smart looking easy to use it has brakes, i use mine indoors also, you have a try you can buy from eBay

jtrunky
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    It could be worth asking your GP for an assessment with an occupational therapist, to get advice on what you need, and to get the right sort of trolley properly adjusted. It may be that rather than using a trolley and a stick, a walking trolley you can lean on would be safer.

Particularly one with a seat that lifts up to give you space for your shopping - they're really useful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure