We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Notice To Keeper parking charge

Chris-L_2
Chris-L_2 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 14 August 2015 at 1:03PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
I have received the above letter, charging me for overstaying at a "free" car park last week.


I don't recall seeing signs about the 2 hour limit, but I bet everyone says that.


Unfortunately I have called the company, but it was to ask where the ticket was issued as HO is Leeds. And its right.


Ticket was issued just after 16:00, and sounds about right.


I have read coupon-mads sticky, and looked at the links. The NTK looks like it has all the information referred to on the links.


Whilst I don't really want to pay the charge, I also don't want all the grief that may come re threatening letters etc.


Information can be confusing and I just want to know what I should do.


Thank you in advance


Chris

Comments

  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    you havent given much info above, so how can you expect any detailed answers ?

    you should proceed according to that NEWBIES sticky thread , which is why its there, also checking which (if any) ATA the company is in too , as this will determine future actions

    what you "want" is not relevant , the parking company "want" their pound of flesh for this INVOICE and have 6 years to try to achieve it
  • Thank you Redx for the prompt response.


    I was not sure how much information to post, although I know more is better, so sorry for that.


    The NTK was from UKCPS.


    £100 charge, reduced to £60 if paid in 28 days.


    The charge indicated was for overstaying, and was issued when I have overstayed by 56 minutes.


    I didn't see the signs, and apparently that car park in question has had plenty of complaints, and new signs were supposed to have been erected Feb 2014, but I didn't see them.


    I have once again read through coupon-mad's sticky. I must be dense, as it doesn't appear to be sinking in.


    I don't want hand holding or it doing for me, just layman's terms.


    I know what I want isn't the point or useful either.


    I am writing to appeal, using the template letter in c-m's sticky and is recorded delivery useful?
    Comments over providing evidence, it says not shop receipts, but that will be all we have. It was a shopping trip and strangely enough we used cash rather than plastic that day.


    Thank you for any help you can provide
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Recorded delivery is a no no!


    Get a free proof of posting by handing the letter in at the post office and requesting one
  • Ok thanks


    Head is all over the place with this for some stupid reason!
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 August 2015 at 3:16PM
    ok , now you mentioned the PPC is UKCPS, did you then check which ATA they are in ? no ? , well it starts with an I , not a B ;)

    so if you read what coupon-mad wrote you will see its a kangaroo court used by UKCPS, so yes send the appeal in as keeper (not driver - you dont admit to driving) , no do not use recorded delivery (they could refuse to accept it and its a waste of your money), get a free cert of posting from the P.O. (dont just drop in a letterbox)

    likely scenario

    thay will refuse your appeal and maybe offer the IAS

    the IAS is a kangaroo court, so either you do appeal, or not

    UKCPS then have 6 years to chase you for the alleged debt for this parking invoice

    no you cannot use popla (forget popla, its a non-starter for UKCPS)

    always complain to the landowner and try to get it cancelled

    in your posts you are using the I word, when you should be saying THE DRIVER , do you not think that UKCPS have joined here and monitor forum posts ?

    why give so much away ? learn to speak in the third party

    ie:- the driver parked and the driver blah blah

    you are relaying important details, not making a statement :)
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 59,533 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Send the appeal template in the NEWBIES thread exactly as it is, then read and re-read the information concerning IPC members at your leisure. You have six years in which to do that, so no pressure there.


    If/when UKCPS reject your initial appeal, you will have to decide whether to appeal to IPC or not. Nobody here can advise you what to on that count.
    You can either ignore or appeal and then ignore. The only advantage with submitting the second appeal is that you get the satisfaction of knowing that it has cost the PPC money.


    Pay particular attention to Post 4 of the NEWBIES thread. Practice ignoring things now so you know how to do it properly if you get debt collectors' bog paper.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    As this is UKCPS it will probably be a contractual charge on which v.a.t. is payable. Have they accounted for vat on their paper work? If not it becomes a breach of contract and GPEOL applies More reading here


    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5087925=


    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5033796=


    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5195437


    If you suspect tax evasion go here
    https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/reporting-tax-evasion


    This, and the flawed adjudication will almost certainly deter UKCPS CPS from taking the matter to court, although they may well sent you lots of threats, including a letter from a debt collector called Miah posing as a solicitor.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.