Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Donating repairable electrical goods/furniture

Are there any charities which accept repairable electrical goods or furniture? I have a tuner amp where the speaker outputs sometimes fade or crackle -am told it is a soldering job and an old (looks as if it might be antique) small 3 legged occasional table on which one of the legs needs repairing and the top could do with sanding and staining, but can't find anywhere via internet search to take them.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Some might. Whereabouts are you? If there's an Emmaus project close I'd try them.

You may find that your local tip sorts and recycles things like this, ie not just stripping them into component parts. I think some are better than others.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ah, another thought, look for 'upcycling' and see if there's someone near you who likes to give furniture a second lease of life.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    i local charity near me takes old computers working or not that they repair and sell at a small profit for the charity

i know with anything electrical it needs to be pat-tested for safety which costs
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Are there any local reycle / re-use projects in your area?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Are you in London? There are several options if so.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• dc1606
    dc1606 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Not in London but could be going in October so suggestions welcomed!
  • There is a reuse and repair shop called Bright Sparks in the Seven Sisters Road near Finsbury Park. They will repair small electrical items cheaply; they will accept electrical items as donations, repairing and selling them of possible, using them for the parts and training in their workshop if not.

http://www.reuseditems.co.uk/shop
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• dc1606
    dc1606 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Thanks. Will look them up.
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Hi
    Our local Council run recycling centre / tip has a shop where they sell things that have been tipped but are usable eg books, cds dvds furniture. They also sell washing machines computers etc that have been repaired or just checked over.
    Its amazing what some people just throw away !
    The money they raise goes to charity.
    Jen
  • Hello,
    There are many charity organizations that accept any used thing as a donation. You can search in google, but be careful while selecting as per the trust and reputation. I can suggest one more idea you can contact any local non-profit school. Normally school accepts old furniture and electrical goods for their class rooms. This will be the best option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure