We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

2 PCN in a Week

Hi All,

I was visiting Manchester last month and manage to collect 2 PCN in a span of a week issued by SIP Car Parks. I didn't expect them to start ticketing at 6:30am!

As I live in Scotland and was only visiting Manchester, am I right in thinking that I can avoid these PCNs?

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks,

Comments

  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 44,994
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Correct. Ignore everything that might come your way from SIP. Keep us posted on progress on this - haven't yet seen an IPC minnow attempt to deal with the Scottish angle.

    Nice position for you to be in! Could be a real baiting opportunity. :)
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

    #Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Sour
    Sour Posts: 5 Forumite
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    Correct. Ignore everything that might come your way from SIP. Keep us posted on progress on this - haven't yet seen an IPC minnow attempt to deal with the Scottish angle.

    Nice position for you to be in! Could be a real baiting opportunity. :)

    not a position that I particularly wanted to be in. Is there anything I should be worried about? Would they approach this issue any differently from any other PCN?
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 59,533
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sour wrote: »
    not a position that I particularly wanted to be in. Is there anything I should be worried about? Would they approach this issue any differently from any other PCN?


    It's irrelevant how any PPC approaches this. As you live in Scotland you are bomb proof when it comes to PCNs.


    You give anything and everything you receive a stiff ignoring. That's all there is to it unless you receive real court papers. Do you get flying pigs in Scotland? You are more likely to see a squadron of them than court papers.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Sour
    Sour Posts: 5 Forumite
    in reality, what's stopping someone in a position like myself just parking in a private car park everyday without paying? surely there must be some repercussions.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 44,994
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 12 August 2015 at 11:41PM
    Sour wrote: »
    in reality, what's stopping someone in a position like myself just parking in a private car park everyday without paying? surely there must be some repercussions.

    That's nothing we'd condone here. This forum is not about a parking free-for-all, pay nothing, do nothing, ignore everything. What we do object to is punitive penalties, exacted on people who minimally transgress convoluted and complex rules imposed by PPCs, dressed up as 'car park management', but primarily aimed at self enrichment.

    It's those motorists who take the view that they can do what they want on someone else's private property, in parking as they wish, who eventually encourage landowners to employ PPCs, who very quickly chase off the fly parkers, but then gorge on the vulnerable, aged, unaware, worried, sick and terminally ill people who inadvertently and innocently fall foul of their self enrichment traps.

    So, yes, go ahead north of the border, help yourself, self indulge if you wish to (temporarily) take full advantage of your 'immunity', but don't come looking for sympathy if the BPA and/or the IPC persuade the Gov't or Scottish Assembly to move towards keeper liability in Scotland (and NI) and then have to deal with the shy/te that we in England and Wales are presently facing!

    Think on, wise up!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

    #Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Look folks, the parking "events" occurred in Manchester therefore keeper liability does apply.

    In theory the keeper could be pursued and sued in the Scottish courts. In practice, Stupid Idiotic Parking is highly unlikely to have either the brains or the inclination to bother.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sour wrote: »
    in reality, what's stopping someone in a position like myself just parking in a private car park everyday without paying? surely there must be some repercussions.

    Well they could do the intelligent thing and put up some pay-on-exit barriers. However, that would mean an end to their lucrative little fake-fines enterprise. It's hardly your problem that they've chosen to do it this way, so don't worry about it.
    Je suis Charlie.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.