We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Parking Solutions 24

Hi, I'll be as brief as possible. I've lurked these forums for years and successfully 'ignored' many illegal or dodgy fines before the legislation change. I can't find a good enough match in the forums for my exact problem so I thought I'd post. Sorry if there's something I've missed. I'll bullet point the facts
  • Parking solutions 24 have managed the parking where I work for 7 years
  • They have never in this time issued a ticket as there is barrier control so it's been assumed that if you're inside the barrier then you're allowed
  • The barrier system and cctv makes it harder for me to deny being the driver
  • They just closed off half the parking for plant machinery making it difficult to find a 'real' space
  • For years everyone has parked on the 'double yellow lines' which are on the private land (so long as they're out of the way)
  • The signage is scant and faded, I passed one on the road in, there's one facing a fence, and once in a back area near some trees. Additional signs give warnings for disabled spaces specifically
  • They have just (without warning) started slapping £100 tickets on cars not parked in bays.
  • I have contacted our union to talk to the employer about this change in custom and practise but not heard back
  • They are BPA
  • They indicated that I "contravened site rules"
  • I haven't responded yet in any way to them
  • I've used a week of my 28 days so far
  • I have had nothing through the post yet.

Is this worth appealing on signage or custom and practise do you think? or should I chase my employer through the union?

Comments

  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 59,533
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Appeal using all the points in the NEWBIES template. What happened on the day or in the past is irrelevant so custom and practice is of no use.


    Complain again to management and the Union. As a union rep myself I have helped two of my colleagues beat parking tickets, although neither were work related, so you need to get your rep up to speed on this scam.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • zoonyx
    zoonyx Posts: 257
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 11 August 2015 at 1:33PM
    In my new (non-regular) opinion...

    Do nothing until the NTK arrives. (First postal communication).

    Chase via employer if you wish, but don't do it instead of. As FC says, follow the newbie thread, appeal to PPC, have it rejected, then go at POPLA with advice from here.

    It sounds scary to some, but trust me it isn't. I've had 3 BPA tickets cancelled (bizarrely at PPC appeal stage, but don't expect that), and 1 currently with IPC. They try to scare, intimidate, lie - but it's all bluster. You hold all the cards.

    Also, regardless of your comments, appeal as Registered Keeper, and write in the 3rd person (The driver did this, The driver did that). Don't say you were the driver, don't say you weren't - you can state that you won't be identifying the driver though.
  • my worry with identification is that my swipe card will have been used on the day. I can't duck being the driver without saying I misused my access card?

    Thanks all, this is in line with what I've been doing so far.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 16,628
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It's exceptionally unlikely that they will have access to the access logs, and all it would show is that someone used your card to get in, which doesn't mean it was that car or that you were even driving (you could have been a passenger).

    These guys you're dealing with are cowboys, pure and simple.
  • zoonyx
    zoonyx Posts: 257
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The important thing to remember is to not make yourself into a special case. There might be loads of migitating circumstances, but ultimately they're all very similar.

    They almost certainly won't have access to 3rd party CCTV, and even less likely to bother trying to get it anyway. Play it cool :)
  • thanks, I'll update if they forget to mail me.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.