New Post Advanced Search

Final Salary Options

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Auto-enrolment
6 replies 2.4K views
Nash51Nash51 Forumite
4 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Auto-enrolment
I have 13 years of a final salary pension plan. I have 3 options on maturity at 65 in a few months.
1) receive 20k per annum, index linked, 50% to spouse on death.
2) receive 15k per month , index linked, 50% to spouse on death plus 90k tax free lump sum
3) take the transfer value of 400k and put it into a SIPP

I am in good health.

What would you do?
Nash

Replies

• Southend1Southend1 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nash51 wrote: »
    I have 13 years of a final salary pension plan. I have 3 options on maturity at 65 in a few months.
    1) receive 20k per annum, index linked, 50% to spouse on death.
    2) receive 15k per month , index linked, 50% to spouse on death plus 90k tax free lump sum
    3) take the transfer value of 400k and put it into a SIPP

I am in good health.

What would you do?

I think there is a typo in option 2. Do you mean £15k per annum?
  • Nash51Nash51 Forumite
    4 posts
    Oops, yes, 15k per annum. I would have preferred it to be per month!
    Nash
  • BobQBobQ Forumite
    11.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nash51 wrote: »
    Oops, yes, 15k per annum. I would have preferred it to be per month!

Are you planning to retire at 65? or 66? Or?

How much do you think you need to live on when you retire?

Do you need a lump sum?
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • Nash51Nash51 Forumite
    4 posts
    Hi
    Current plan is to retire now, 65.
    I reckon an income of 35k would be the minimum. I have a small SIPP which should generate 5k per annum as well as 10k of property rental income per annum.
    The lump sum I was intending to use to pay off my remaining mortgage.
    Nash
  • BobQBobQ Forumite
    11.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have just noted that you have posted this in the auto-enrollment forum (a subset of the main pensions forum). You will probably get a better range of views if you start something in the main forum.

Unless you have any short term health issues, (c) is unlikely to be supportable. Giving up a DB pension is generally seen as not being a good idea. You would need an IFA to sign it off and there are few situations when that would be good advice.

My view is that (a) £20K pa indexed for life with support for your wife if the worst should happen is the best option and you should try to hang on to the security of that.

What you need to work out is how best to pay that mortgage off. Not sure if this to pay off your home or the BTL mortgage.

Option (b) will solve your mortgage pay off, but at the expense of £5K of index linked pension. Do you need all the £90K? Can you pay the mortgage off via savings? How long do you plan to retain the BTL? These are the sorts of questions you need to ask.

But I would suggest posting this on main pensions forum
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • Nash51Nash51 Forumite
    4 posts
    Thanks, should have got to know the site better before posting.

I won't repost as reading the other threads I've got the information I need.

Amazing how many other people ask the same/similar questions.

Thanks to those that responded to my query despite being in the wrong section.
    Nash
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support