We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Thursday 6th August

2»

Comments

  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,664 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 6 August 2015 at 11:33AM
    Morning All

    :bdaycake: Jayward

    Gers. ((Hugs)) that's why I don't venture far from here. We are all as OS or as MS as we want/need to be it is our choice.

    HH We retired 9 years ago, at 55, finding time for my hobbies at last. Current have the water colours out trying to paint Skye, first attempt wasn't too bad, it not quite right, the following days went in the bin, but will try again, and knitting. Just using wool up which I have started, so this is a baby coat, but with no-one in mind yet. Have a couple of other projects to finish too.
    DH taken over majority of hte HW, the enjoys it, I catch the bits he misses when he is walking Skye, we take her once each day each in the day time, and he does the last one at night too. He keeps telling me I don't do it right (I don't argue!!). Today I am going for my pedicure and massage shortly, will then nip to L!dl. Not been there recently, do virtually all my supermarket shipping at Ald! now, plus the local market.
    Do I miss work, the comradary, banter, and sometimes the brain usage, but not the politics and time. We will be off in the 'van again shortly, before returning to sunnier climbs for a couple of months, but would really like to know where the time goes.

    Take care everyone, ((Hugs)), Spoons & positive vibes all round. DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • Morning all. Just finished the washing and am peering out wondering if it's worth chancing it and putting it on the line.


    Need to put up a shelf, and hoover then I'll be making a pineapple upside down cake for my mum. God knows what's for tea, but I think I'll make some chips and have them with a yellow sticker pie I got from the Co-op yesterday with some veggies.


    Hope everyone is feeling well and having a great day.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Had planned to hang washing on line outside but dark clouds overhead so don't want to risk it.

    About to take the bus to York to treat older DD to the cinema this afternoon.

    Might pop into supermarket on the way home for something quick and healthy to cook for tea unless I decide to make an omelette instead. Middle dd came round for tea and the veggie quinoa with quorn, onions, tomatoes, celery and mushrooms and peppers went down so well I put some in a foil carton for her to have tonight.

    Gers

    Sorry you had a bad time on another thread.

    Hugs to all and see you later
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 13,992 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    GERS I'm so very sorry that you were attacked by mannerless and rude people posting on another thread, I hate it when it happens and feel that to some people the anonymity of posting under a user name negates all the social conventions that usually apply. Things they would (hopefully) never consider saying in real life seem to be acceptable to them. It shouldn't happen and there should be a requirement for appologies when it does shopuldn't there?

    Thanks - it was such a jolt this yesterday and this morning. There are some great people there too who have been really helpful, others just want to ram their way of life and views down everyone's throat and can't accept that I make choices which I'm happy with. Just because I'm not chasing £9.00 a year in interest I'm not MSE....
    snoozer wrote: »

    Hester - I "retired" about 4 years ago (at 53) in order to be able to drop everything and go to my ailing parents when they needed me. I can honestly say I've not missed work one bit, a feeling confirmed by a few months of work at the end of last year. I find plenty to do and I'm sure if I ever get grandchildren I'll be even busier. I'm determined not to end up like mum who barely moved from her reclining chair after the age of 60.

    I too stopped working this year (I call it relaxing rather than retiring) aged 61 years. Can't say I miss it all and life is too busy now. I have a two hour a week 'job' with another two hours coming up and that's more than enough. No one nagging for work to be done or moaning or whining. Now there's time for the family and the extended family.
    donny-gal wrote: »

    Gers. ((Hugs)) that's why I don't venture far from here. We are all as OS or as MS as we want/need to be it is our choice.

    I had to duck my head back under the parapet, but not before firing some parting shots.

    I hung the bed linen out at 8.00a.m. and it's rained twice since then. Luckily I wasn't here so have decided to just ignore it. Now the two living room cotton rugs are out as well so the sun had blooming well better come out as promised.

    Right, I didn't have breakfast this morning so I need it now. That's probably why I left my purse on the sofa before I went out, that was slightly embarrassing at the bank when I went to pay some coins in. :rotfl:

    Thanks for the words of cheer folks!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,240 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Gers wrote: »
    I asked for a bit of advice on another board and now getting 'attacked' by a couple of people for not doing as they do. It's so nice to get back into the cosy friendliness of this board.
    I occasionally pluck up courage to venture onto another board, and invariably come running back here with my tail between my legs. I don't understand why some people have to be so rude and downright nasty; I can only assume they have sad little lives, and need to inflict misery on others to feel good about themselves.
    Well I had a sort of a good night out last night until one of the "girls" came out with a totally stupid remark. She knew full well what we are going through, the diagnosis and how worried I am re Mr TA and forthcoming treatment and then she asked if we had any holidays booked! I can't decide if she is stupid or thoughtless but it gave me a sleepless night and today I feel washed out.
    (((HUG))) Chances are she opened her mouth before engaging her brain; I'm useless at small-talk myself, but isn't "what are you doing for your holiday?" a standard small-talk subject?

    My dear, dear friends Bailey & Cassie should be arriving this afternoon - I can't wait!:o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Good for you GERS standing up to these nasty know-it-alls. I stick mostly to OS, Greenfinger and Grabbit these days as you meet a much nicer class of person! I was "attacked" once on the UK travel forum for not agreeing with someone so keep clear of that now too!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Well, what a wild goose chase we went on this morning. The website for the woodstove company lists and has pictures of all the OzPig extras and they have........NONE!!! funnily though last week someone went in and bought the last 3 OzPigs they had and all the extras, how unfortunate/strange/convenient? So we drove almost to Guildford and back for absolutely nothing! Not cross, just disappointed!

    GERS my poppet, it is YOUR life, there are no set rules for how much of it is or becomes OS and no one has the right to abuse you for how you live your life or tell you what you can and can't do. This attack when you are asking advice is NOT ACCEPTABLE and the board police really should have a mechanism available to them to censure people who do attack others just because they can. A time out of maybe a month not being able to post would go a little way towards making then think before doing it again wouldn't it?
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Today, Hiroshima marks 70th anniversary of the world's first atomic bombing:

    CLuq9mxVAAA0WyQ.jpg:small


    http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/06/us-japan-hiroshima-anniversary-idUSKCN0QB02U20150806?utm_source=twitter
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Afternoon all,

    Just found time to pop on and have a read. I agree with the posters who say when they aren't at work, retired or otherwise, they run out of time! I've had nearly two weeks of the school holidays off and never seem to have enough hours in the day. Today I have been back to do some more to dad's garden. Been to the butcher and sorted all the meat for the freezer, as well as the usual chores, washing etc.

    DH and DS2 are going fishing tomorrow and I know the day will whizz by and they will have returned before I know it!

    Sausages for tea :)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    TA

    She wasn't a hairdresser at some point. was she?;) Sorry for the tactless, probably automatic comment as it shows she just did not get it.

    Just got back from cinema and enjoyed it and had tomato soup with pasta added as I just took a fancy to it.

    Will need to go shopping tomorrow and get fresh veg, fish and meat
    as youngest dd is due back and middle dd will pop in for tea.

    Hugs to all
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.