Refused a credit card

Options
Recently applied for a barclaycard & was rejected.

Have a noddle account with 4/5 rating. checked eligibility & was 90% likely to get it & they've been sending me letters beseeching me to apply!

I think the problem may have been that on the application - via my online banking (as i have current account with them) the form automatically came up listing a savings joint account i have with barclays (which has very little activity). I probably should have overwritten this with my current account there (which has a lot of activity) but figured i'd held joint savings account longer & if it was automatically in the form...

Subseuently I have checked Equifax (who barclaycard use) & there is nothing untoward on my file.
So my question is: should i apply for a different credit card now which i have a high chance of getting according to eligibility calculator (a week after refusal) or am i likely to get refused again because of last week's search?

Or should i wait & for how long?

Many thanks in advance for any tips!

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    4/5 = a custard cream. Totally meaningless because barclaycard do not see that score.

Have you checked all the information oin your file? Any missed payments? Other loans value in relation to your income?

If you keep applying it will push down your chances of getting a decent card.

Check all your details first to see if there is a reason why they rejected you.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• telecomengineer
    Options
    if you bank with Barclays then call up Barclaycard new applications line and ask them to appeal the decision based on the fact you have a current account with them...I did this twice and was successful getting the platinum and freedom rewards
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    One thing I'd also point out is the fact savings accounts aren't reported to your credit files; you may have held the account longer with Barclays but it wouldn't be taken into consideration.

If you feel you've nothing untoward on your files (not just with Equifax but also Experian and Callcredit) you could appeal their decision without carrying out another hard search elsewhere.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure