MSE News: Government to examine access to financial advice

Options
2»

Comments

• bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I'm not sure what the stats are on benefit claimants vs low paid workers and use of payday lenders and credit. In my experience it is people working trying to make ends meet that frequently fall pray to these money zappers.

Bexster :)
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If people use money wisely, HM Tresury get less tax revenue.

I am afraid you are totally wrong. There is a staggering £160bn in UK savings accounts that pay next to no interest, and thefore next to no tax either.

If people were more financially aware, and more numerate as msallen rightly point outs, they would be moving their money to better paying accounts. These exist, despite the generally low rate of interest. Result number 1 would be that people get paid more interest, and result number 2 would be that more money flows into the tax coffers, which in turn benefit the state at large. A win-win for savers and tax coffers.

This is all totally simple maths, and holds true whatever your political persuasion.
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Oh dear Archi. I'm not discussing the section of society you seem so hung up on - people with pots of money languishing in savings accounts paying little interest ( incidentally, so banks can make greater profits ) I'm talking about a section of society you seem to be less au fait with, those on low incomes working long hours, on poor contracts ( including zero hours) and still not able to make ends meet.

I think I will leave those rolling in it to pat the government on the back in this self- congratulatory thread.

Bexster :)
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am not hung up about anything, I simply replied to your assertion that "If people use money wisely, HM Tresury get less tax revenue."

I used one example, where we are talking about billions of pounds, to demonstrate that your assertion is wrong.
  • im-lost
    im-lost Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Not in all circumstances - as someone (colsten?) has pointed out on this site within the last few days, if people use taxable current accounts for saving instead of blindly following the mantra of cash ISAs being best, then both the saver and HMG win!

be careful what you wish for, the only reason you get higher interest on some accounts is because some people have savings etc that are working for the bank and not themselves.

The same way as some can have 'free' banking, interest free credit on credit cards by paying it off monthly etc, its all subsidised by those that aren't as savvy.

Take away those that are subsiding this for you, and you'll have to start paying for things you've taken for granted.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    im-lost wrote: »
    be careful what you wish for, the only reason you get higher interest on some accounts is because some people have savings etc that are working for the bank and not themselves.

The same way as some can have 'free' banking, interest free credit on credit cards by paying it off monthly etc, its all subsidised by those that aren't as savvy.

Take away those that are subsiding this for you, and you'll have to start paying for things you've taken for granted.
    I didn't say I was wishing for this, just observing that in some cases better saving decisions generate more tax rather than less.

If such decisions also lead to lower profitability for banks then as you rightly say this could have broader consequences, but that's a different debate and arguably most things promoted on this site are for the consumers' benefit at the expense of the banks and so could ultimately be self-defeating!
  • Herbalus
    Herbalus Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are numerous consequences of a particular action but consider this:
    better advice -> better use of money -> wealthier population -> more money to spend on consumer goods -> more tax.

You could say, for example, that better advice -> less debt -> less bank revenue -> lower bank taxes BUT at the same time less debt -> lower interest payments -> more available money -> more tax.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Herbalus wrote: »
    There are numerous consequences of a particular action but consider this:
    better advice -> better use of money -> wealthier population -> more money to spend on consumer goods -> more tax.

You could say, for example, that better advice -> less debt -> less bank revenue -> lower bank taxes BUT at the same time less debt -> lower interest payments -> more available money -> more tax.
    what's more, it's more tax revenue without raising the tax rates, and at the same time consumers enjoying themselves spending more money that pays more tax
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Launched in April, the pension reforms mean that people aged 55 and over are no longer required to buy a retirement income called an annuity with their pension pot.

A requirement that ceased to exist nearly a decade ago!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure