Self Employed and Owner/Director of a different Business.

Mark39 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 1 August 2015 at 11:45AM in Benefits & tax credits
I'm Self Employed in the UK for 3 years as a Luthier, music teacher and musician, this is from all my income comes from, but in the end of the last year I started a new business with a friend and we had to open a LTD company which I'm the director of it, it's a music studio for practicing and we hope next year start to do recordings also, the company it's paying the bills for now and it's not making any money.
My question is I already receive housing and council tax benefit as self employed and now it's time to renew it, should I say to the council that I'm a director of this company that doesn't make money or not? If I have to tell then what could happen to my benefit, would they consider me as Self Employed or Employee or both? How they will treat with this situation?
Also if I change the director of the company to my friend's name would it change anything?
Thank You!


  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    You have 2 different employments and 2 different income streams - both are treated different.

    You will be treated as self employed for your self employed musician/music teacher business.

    You will be treated as a Director for your and only Directors Remunerations will be taken into account as income.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards