IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Parking Eye Claim against me

Hello: I've been sent a Claim Form by Parking Eye for "monies outstanding", in the County Court Business Centre.

I parked for 3 hours in an M40 Service station, not noticing a sign saying 2 hours was free, after that you're fined. I've had these before, and I've always been ignored after about the 3rd letter when I reply to say "thanks for the invoice, I choose not to pay it, have a nice day".

This time I forgot to send a letter and I've now got this from Parking Eye - a Claim Form, Court Address "County Court Business Centre, Northampton". Amount Claimed, £100, Court fee £25, Solicitors costs £50, total £175.

it appears Ive got 28 days to send a defence.

Is this one of the replies along the lines of - the signs weren't clear, £60 is way too much for overstaying when I was spending money on food, petrol, coffees etc, you have no way of knowing exactly how long I was parking, I'm not sure I was even the driver that day, etc. Or is it more serious? Ive seen the recent coverage of Parking Eye taking the Fish and Chip guy to Court.

All advice gratefully received!

PS, I know what clear signs look like, as I stopped in at an M6 Service Station a couple of days ago (Northbound, near junction 10 I think?) and they had signs at every parking spot - you just could not miss them. Again, 2 hours.

Replies

• edited 31 July 2015 at 5:37PM
    The_DeepThe_Deep Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    edited 31 July 2015 at 5:37PM
    Actually, the fish and chip shop owner has taken them to court, but the case has no connection with bilking in a MSA. Read the stickies and appeal to PoPLA , you should win on signage and GPEOL, and, perhaps contract. If you get to court claim the stop was necessary as you were tired and fell asleep.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    38.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    1. You need to quickly acknowledge service of the court papers which will give you a further 14 days to prepare your outline defence.

2. Purchase the Parking Prankster's Guide to defending a ParkingEye court case - Amazon for £3.99 or thereabouts.

3. Read post #5 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky near the top of this forum's tbread list, one page back from here.

You can not ignore this, otherwise you're on the road to (as Guy's Dad said in a thread earlier today) a life-wrecking CCJ.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • RedxRedx Forumite
    38.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    same advice as in this recent thread here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5296809

start with post #5 of the NEWBIES sticky thread too
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News