changing car insurance over?

Options
joe134
joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
edited 30 July 2015 at 4:38PM in Insurance & life assurance
hi guys, girl at axa said they would charge £30 and extra premium if she did it over the phone, do it online and save the £30. I cannot see how it's done online, as no instructions,, and old car needs to be p/xd.so need to cancel one and start the other, but, at different times tomorrow? it usually starts/ends midnight, and not sure time of swap.
what's best way?:beer:

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There may still be an extra premium to pay if they deem the new car a higher risk so no escaping that.

Log into the online account and see if it has the option of changing the cars details. It should let you choose a time to swap the insurance from one vehicle to another.

Double check to make sure your not cancelling the policy, just swapping the cars details to the new one.

If in doubt phone them and pay the £30, or haggle the £30 down.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• joe134
    edited 30 July 2015 at 5:25PM
    Options
    There may still be an extra premium to pay if they deem the new car a higher risk so no escaping that.

Log into the online account and see if it has the option of changing the cars details. It should let you choose a time to swap the insurance from one vehicle to another.

Double check to make sure your not cancelling the policy, just swapping the cars details to the new one.

If in doubt phone them and pay the £30, or haggle the £30 down.
    thanks F, he was told yesterday it would be £25 increase to change the old to the new one for the last remaining month, then shop around.will check as you say.:beer:
    edit;;yes there is change details, or add temp vehicle?
    then "change"
    So just change car details, leave rest the same? except swap times, have not clicked change.because don't know time of change tomorrow yet ?
    as it only has a month to run, and new quotes for new car are cheaper than existing company, can I take a new policy out with another company for whole year, and either, cancel or let other run out?
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    joe134 wrote: »
    have not clicked change.because don't know time of change tomorrow yet ?
    as it only has a month to run, and new quotes for new car are cheaper than existing company, can I take a new policy out with another company for whole year, and either, cancel or let other run out?
    Does it ask for a time or just a date?

Are there cancellation charges?

You can take out a new policy but you won't get this years NCB if you don't complete the year.

Don't just let it run. You need to either change the vehicle on the policy or cancel it.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above if you let it run out then you wont be able to use the no claims, if you cancel it now you lose any no claims that you have earned this year.

If you had 3 years last year you will still have 3 years etc..

Also if you cancel then the admin fee maybe unavoidable. At this
    late stage the charges to cancel may exceed the full policy value.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• joe134
    edited 31 July 2015 at 7:48AM
    Options
    As above if you let it run out then you wont be able to use the no claims, if you cancel it now you lose any no claims that you have earned this year.

If you had 3 years last year you will still have 3 years etc..

Also if you cancel then the admin fee maybe unavoidable. At this
    late stage the charges to cancel may exceed the full policy value.
    Thanks Guys, just going to pay the £30, let them do it, play safe, need an hour overlap, to get to garage, paperwork etc.
    Pushing buttons on Pc is instant, and policy changes same. Never done it on Pc before, always paid.:D
    only takes a glitch getting to garage etc.Do it at the garage.and tax, that's bloody well changed too.gotta reclaim old, and get new before driving off.
    talk about making life easier.
    :beer::beer:
    any tips on syphoning a full tank of petrol out of old car, just refilled :-)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    ......any tips on syphoning a full tank of petrol out of old car, just refilled :-)
    Discussed here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5288641

You may decide to write it off after reading that thread!
  • joe134
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    Discussed here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5288641

You may decide to write it off after reading that thread!
    Cheers Q, I was only joking, didn't think there would be a thread for it.I'd end up swallowing most of it.:rotfl::rotfl:
  • joe134
    Options
    Cheers Q, I was only joking, didn't think there would be a thread for it.I'd end up swallowing most of it.:rotfl::rotfl:
    Update;;Hi guys, decided to do it online went ,ok it was ,£26 for extra premium for 1 month.(bit steep) ?
    I had to redo it, as Son gave me wrong number plate number,as the car is for him, and got £1.65 refund?
    I thought young uns were IT savvy, not 70+, as I am.:-)
    All sorted now, so , thanks again, for your advice, saved £30, which went towards petrol.:beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure