Care assessment and what is allowed in savings

Options
My mum is due a reassessment for care and her finances by social services. She currently receives direct payments which is used to pay a care agency. At the time of her first assessment she had £21K in her account and this time it will be a little less. However, mum is very dependant on my sister to take her out as she cannot get out of the house without her. My sister's car is on its last legs and she cannot afford another as she is unemployed and soon will not be able to see Mum.
. If my mum were to buy a car for her for about £4K is this allowed or would it be counted as a gift and still count in Mum's finances for the assessment ?

Any advice would be apprecited

Comments

• ramiredd
    Options
    Thanks, I hope that this information will be useful.
  • Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Options
    My mum is due a reassessment for care and her finances by social services. She currently receives direct payments which is used to pay a care agency. At the time of her first assessment she had £21K in her account and this time it will be a little less. However, mum is very dependant on my sister to take her out as she cannot get out of the house without her. My sister's car is on its last legs and she cannot afford another as she is unemployed and soon will not be able to see Mum.
    . If my mum were to buy a car for her for about £4K is this allowed or would it be counted as a gift and still count in Mum's finances for the assessment ?

Any advice would be apprecited

There is a very simple solution to this problem.

I looked after my Mum, she has dementia, and before she got to the point where she had to go into a home I used to run her about, doctors, hospital, shopping etc.

She started to complain about my car, it was low, a two seat sports car, and she struggled to get in and out of it. My other car, an old Land Rover, was too high!

I spoke to Social Services and they advised me that if she bought a car and gave it me then that was deprivation of assets.

However, if she bought a car and registered it in her name then that was fine. So I have the car she bought but she is the registered owner even though she has never and will never drive it.

A bit Like a company car is registered to the company but driven by an employee.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure