PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheaper cuts of meat

Options

Comments

• competitionscafe
    Options
    A British supermarket is to start stocking cheeks and trotters once again. Are you ready for some cheap but delicious cuts?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2008/sep/22/trotters.cheeks

"They have been part of traditional recipes for centuries but increasingly hard for enthusiasts to find. Now meat cuts such as Bath chaps, (the lower half of a pig's cheeks), pig trotters and ox cheeks may get their day in the culinary spotlight again with Waitrose supermarket - which is part of the John Lewis Partnership - hoping such old favourites may come back in vogue if the fast-food generation can learn from their thriftier forebears.
    Waitrose says it want to "reconnect" Britons with lesser-known and cheaper alternatives to today's cuts."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/sep/22/foodanddrink.supermarkets
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • bullet_2
    Options
    Does anybody know if mutton can still be bought? Nowhere near me seems to ever sell it.
  • MartialArtMan
    Options
    I'm gunna buy a slow cooker in the sale (any recommendations?) and I've read on here that cheap cuts of meat taste so much better cooked in it so you can save on your shopping but what are these cheap cuts of meat huh?
  • angelavdavis
    Options
    Braising steak (rather than fillet)
    Rabbit
    Stewing lamb
    Brisket of beef
    Mutton
    Shin
    Beef Skirt

Generally, any cut that comes from the "working" part of the animal or from an older animal so needs cooking longer.

You can use other meat such as chicken, but the SC really transforms meat such as the above.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • Berni888
    Berni888 Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    If you want a site that I've found most helpful to make the most out of my slow cooker, it's www.allrecipes.com. There is a uk version but I find I enjoy the american one. Be sure to read the other viewers tips at the bottom of the page for further ideas or amendments. Chicken Tortilla Soup is one I've been meaning to try for ages, but I can recommend the ease and cost effectiveness of cooking with the slow cooker. You can even use frozen chicken breasts because of the time used to cook. £4.90 for 1.4kg from Asda

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chicken-Tortilla-Soup/Detail.aspx

Hope you enjoy experimenting and have a lovely Christmas
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What is the quickest casserole thing you can do in a slow cooker?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    (any I've read on here that cheap cuts of meat taste so much better cooked in it so you can save on your shopping
    Cheap cuts of meat are much better cooked slowly but not necessarily in a slow cooker. Thrifty cooks have been slow cooking brisket and the like long before slow cookers were invented.

Having used a slow cooker I prefer the cheap cuts cooked in the oven- the flavour is way better.

You will of course save on fuel costs using a slow cooker.
  • Berni888
    First Post
    Options
    I'm gunna buy a slow cooker in the sale (any recommendations?) and I've read on here that cheap cuts of meat taste so much better cooked in it so you can save on your shopping but what are these cheap cuts of meat huh?

Forgot you'd asked for recommendations.

Saw this on the other forum had some good tips from Wolflee

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/279560/crock-pot-slow-cooker-40-everywhere/
  • Berni888
    First Post
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    What is the quickest casserole thing you can do in a slow cooker?

I'm guessing you're talking about preparation time? If so one of the quickest would be one for chicken hot pot and that is you put chicken breasts into pot, add frozen veg of your choice. Pour over a jar of sauce and leave for the next 8 hours.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options

Try this thread Buying a slow cooker (which and why?) ;)

A couple of weeks ago I bought a lamb breast from the butcher for £1. I made a Moroccan-inspired stuffing from breadcrumbs, almond, dates, apricot, sulatnas and cinnamon, rolled the lot and cooked in the bottom of the Rayburn for about 3 hours. I served 4 and was delicious :j

I'll add this thread to the existing one on cheaper cuts of meat :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business