Reclaiming PPI

Options
Hi,

I am looking to start the process of reclaiming back PPI charges I may have incurred over the last 15 years.

However I do not have account numbers for everything and some of the companies I have had loans or credit cards no longer exist.

Whilst I am aware people are saying DO NOT use a third party I am just thinking it might be easier...it's money I wouldn't have had in the first place!

I will be looking to claims off loan, a car lease company and various credit cards over this period.

Whilst this website is really helpful the templates and information is lengthy and I don't really have the time to go through this process for every company I want to contact! (About 20!).

Await your thoughts.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am just thinking it might be easier.

Why do you think it will be easier?
    After all, the CMCs dont have access to data that is not in the public domain. So, if you dont know, how do you think they are expected to know?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As Dunstonh says, all the claims company will do is ask you for the information (which you say you don't have). They have far less powers at getting the information then you do.
  • MuckleMaker
    Options
    I am thinking the same way as Emmajane31. I have collated the information I have saved for loans, mortgage, credit cards, finance etc... since the first loan I ever took out but I don;t have any of the Ts&Cs. I remember being asked every time if I wanted PPI and in the vast majority of cases said no simply because I'd heard reports that it's not easy to claim etc... and I was happy to take the "risk".

From reading the guides on MSE the first thing I need to do is get the Ts&Cs (I don't have these, I've only ever saved the letter telling me the loan/finance has been settled) which costs £10 each.

I don't want to spend £10 for every opportunity when I'm pretty sure there was only a couple of instances where I might have paid PPI. Do PPI companies have a much cheaper way of getting those Ts&Cs, or is that why they charge 40% or so?

Any tips on good companies to go with?
  • amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,005 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't need the terms and conditions if you have proof that you paid PPI and have good reasons for mis sell.

Pass the info you have to a claims co, any will do, they all get money for posting your info, that is all they do, or...contact the financial institutions yourself and save upwards of 40% plus VAT if you win redress.

No brainer?.
  • MuckleMaker
    Options
    Hi Amersall, thanks for the quick response.

I don't have proof I paid PPI, I think I did pay it for a couple but don't know which ones :wall:

I was thinking of just phoning the respective institutions and taking it from there and if I get nowhere just choose a claims company.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    From reading the guides on MSE the first thing I need to do is get the Ts&Cs (I don't have these, I've only ever saved the letter telling me the loan/finance has been settled) which costs £10 each.

No you dont. That is only for people that dont know if they had PPI and dont want to phone up and ask.

If you know you had PPI them then you can make your complaint without asking for T&C. If you dont know then you can phone and ask.
    Do PPI companies have a much cheaper way of getting those Ts&Cs, or is that why they charge 40% or so?

They dont ask for the T&C. They just put in speculative complaints assuming you do have it. Firms are reporting around half their PPI complaints dont even have PPI. Most of these come from claims companies.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • MuckleMaker
    Options
    Thanks dunstonh, I didn't know that - I shall be calling the finance companies first then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure