We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Payday lender Cash Genie to pay £10m redress for 'serious failings'

Options

Comments

• tasha7490
    Options
    Hi,

I had numerous loans with cash genie in 2009-2011 so I contacted them by phone and email to see if I was entitled to redress (it took me about 3 days of trying to get through on their stupid phone number). When I got through to them I was told an account manager was going to call me back and he did. He was very aggressive and rude telling me I was not owed anything and 70 pounds in letter charges (I was not even aware I had been charged this) was completely justified and despite me trying to argue my case the phone call swiftly came to an end. However today I have received an email from someone at s law (involved in liquidating cash genie) asking for my address so they can post a cheque to me. No idea how much for though.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    tasha7490 wrote: »
    I had numerous loans with cash genie in 2009-2011 so I contacted them by phone and email to see if I was entitled to redress (it took me about 3 days of trying to get through on their stupid phone number). When I got through to them I was told an account manager was going to call me back and he did. He was very aggressive and rude telling me I was not owed anything and 70 pounds in letter charges (I was not even aware I had been charged this) was completely justified and despite me trying to argue my case the phone call swiftly came to an end. However today I have received an email from someone at s law (involved in liquidating cash genie) asking for my address so they can post a cheque to me. No idea how much for though.

There's some information here.
  • dreamerinfate
    Options
    Hello
    As anyone heard from Cash Genie?

I received an email back in January, took ages to confirm details with them finally managed to get through on the phone i then sent several emails as i have had no further contact from them, they told me it would take 12 weeks it has now passed the 12 weeks and i have sent more emails and i get no reply and cant get through to them on the phone

I was just wondering if anyone has had a redress recently, i have no idea how much it is for or what it is for and no one is contacting me
  • fusionx212
    fusionx212 Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    Hello
    As anyone heard from Cash Genie?

I received an email back in January, took ages to confirm details with them finally managed to get through on the phone i then sent several emails as i have had no further contact from them, they told me it would take 12 weeks it has now passed the 12 weeks and i have sent more emails and i get no reply and cant get through to them on the phone

I was just wondering if anyone has had a redress recently, i have no idea how much it is for or what it is for and no one is contacting me
    they don't have 12 weeks they have lied. they have 8 weeks to respond any later than that you can contact the Financial ombudsman.
  • dreamerinfate
    Options
    Thank you for your reply :-)
    They have now gone into liquidation so does it still work the same way? I never complained, well i did but my complaint was settled and money refunded and months later out of the blue i got an email stating i had overpaid how i dont know, anyway they said i would get a refund plus interest and compensation, no one is telling me how much, i have received nothing sent several emails and no replies, the number i tried to contact on for redress is always engaged

I dont know what to do now, its annoying because i wasnt expecting anything just wondering how much and why but getting no where
  • fusionx212
    fusionx212 Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your reply :-)
    They have now gone into liquidation so does it still work the same way? I never complained, well i did but my complaint was settled and money refunded and months later out of the blue i got an email stating i had overpaid how i dont know, anyway they said i would get a refund plus interest and compensation, no one is telling me how much, i have received nothing sent several emails and no replies, the number i tried to contact on for redress is always engaged

I dont know what to do now, its annoying because i wasnt expecting anything just wondering how much and why but getting no where

it works the same regardless. try contact the liquidators.

A phone line has been set up to assist with claims – customers who think they may be owed money can call 0333 366 0023 or email customerredress@cashgenie.co.uk.

The shareholders of Ariste Holding Limited appointed Steven Law and Nigel Millar of RSM Restructuring Advisory LLP as Joint Liquidators of the Company on 5 January 2016. The Joint Liquidators will deal with the remaining redress payments and ultimately the closure of the Company.
  • dreamerinfate
    Options
    Thanks very much for the info, i have tried the email address and the number but no luck, anyway hopefully it will arrive soon, i cant even get through to anyone which is more annoying. :-)
  • dreamerinfate
    Options
    I have finally managed to get someone to call me back from Cash Genie and they have told me there has been a delay in sending out the cheques and should receive it no later than 18th April, we shall see...

I asked how much it is for and what it is for and all they could say was its an overpayment on my account and they have no idea how much it is for, i am still confused as to why as i had already complained and got £123 back and then complained again about the same matter and got a further £43 back, i am confused as i am pretty sure the loan was only £200 originally and i paid it back years ago and wasnt aware that i had overpaid
  • dreamerinfate
    Options
    Hello
    Just a quick update i finally received a cheque over the weekend from cash genie for £91.99, apparently i had overpaid by £90 on my account and got interest of £1.99, at the time of taking the loan i had mental health problems and alot of trouble with finances, i did pay it back but was never made aware i had overpaid, i had also gotten a refund of £163 back last year so in total i have received approx £255 and i think the loan was only about £150 in total although i know i did pay interest and charges etc, anyway better in my pocket and a lesson which was learnt the hard way, makes me wonder though how many people overpaid and was never told they overpaid, this was back in 2010, there quick to pester you and threaten you if you owe something but has this has proved not quick to give you, your money back, anyway thank you for everyone who took the time to give me advice much appreciated
  • Frainy345
    Options
    Has anyone else had any issues recently awaiting their refund? Cash Genie have advised me I am due approx £450 + statutory interest from my loan which I paid in 2012 (they or Carter forbes took about 600 pounds from my account when I was in a payment arangement with them) They've told me this will be coming from the liquidators RSM and can't even give me an idea of how long this may take.

Is anyone else in this situation? Would be nice to get an idea if when I will get this money.

Thanks
    Jason
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills