We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Anyone any good at physics?

zygurat789
zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I grow tomatoes in large bucket sized pots against a south facing wall. They are very thirsty and need to be kept very moist. So when I come to feed them liquid seeps out of the pot; now is this the new liquid feed I have just poured in at the top or is it just the plain water that was near the bottom of the compost?
The only thing that is constant is change.

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'm not good at physics, but I bet most of it's the new stuff as the existing stuff will be 'water logged' so the new stuff will run off that sodden earth rather than sinking in and pushing the old liquid out.

You could test this now in your bathroom - go and get a sponge and soak it. Lay that down in the bath and get some coloured liquid (drink, squash, watered down ketchup) and pour that onto the sponge from about 2' above it ... see what happens.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    zygurat789 wrote: »
    now is this the new liquid feed I have just poured in at the top or is it just the plain water that was near the bottom of the compost?

Could you just taste it and see ?
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • zygurat789
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Could you just taste it and see ?

Your idea, you try, if you don't report back we'll know it was the feed coming through.
  • Why not try bottom feeding the plants - pouring the water and feed into the tray and letting the roots at the bottom absorb them up? Are you just pouring undiluted feed straight in at the top?

Having top-watered all my spuds in pots, when it came to harvest time I was surprised when I pulled everything out just how dry the bottom few inches of compost were. Bone dry, despite me believing I'd been watering too much. But I've been watering all my toms from the bottom and they seem happy.
    Debt free except for this blooming mortgage!
    Offsetting is the way to go!
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    is this the new liquid feed I have just poured in at the top

Yes .
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    nobody knows, you shoul;d put a saucer at the bottom to save the water and in future consider some basket gel with your small plant pots so they can retain water.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've noticed that if a pot is kept well watered that most of added water soaks in and old comes out at the bottom. however if the compost has been allowed to dry at all and has shrunk from the pot sides then the water will bypass the compost and come straight out.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • zygurat789
    I'm not good at physics, but I bet most of it's the new stuff as the existing stuff will be 'water logged' so the new stuff will run off that sodden earth rather than sinking in and pushing the old liquid out.

You could test this now in your bathroom - go and get a sponge and soak it. Lay that down in the bath and get some coloured liquid (drink, squash, watered down ketchup) and pour that onto the sponge from about 2' above it ... see what happens.

How can you say you are no good at physics when you devise a pythagorian experiment like that. Unfortunately I don't have a sponge, not ev en an artificial one. Your description was so good that you obviously tried this, what was your result?

My results, 1 yes 1 no and a couple of helpful suggestions and a bit of the usual nonesence.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Pythagoras never believed in the experimental process, so he'd not have got his toes wet doing that. Archimedes is more your bathwater type, if you believe the tales of "εὕρηκα" moments.

But, as a keen gardener who once studied physics, fluid dynamics, and ion uptake systems, I might be able to shed some light on the matter. Actually, s0d and stuff the theory, being a gardener better helps answer that! Much more fun too.

Pour fertilised water at "normal" concentration on top of a soil pot until it runs through... in all likelihood, the water coming out will contain more nutrient than it did when you poured it in. Just, some of the liquid will have been absorbed by the soil, and those nutrients dissolved within will be available to the plant.

Stick a saucer under said plant, let it stand for ten minutes or so, tip the saucer onto another deserving plant (unless you suspect you have any plant diseases to spread).
  • zygurat789
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Pythagoras never believed in the experimental process, so he'd not have got his toes wet doing that. Archimedes is more your bathwater type, if you believe the tales of "εὕρηκα" moments.

But, as a keen gardener who once studied physics, fluid dynamics, and ion uptake systems, I might be able to shed some light on the matter. Actually, s0d and stuff the theory, being a gardener better helps answer that! Much more fun too.

Pour fertilised water at "normal" concentration on top of a soil pot until it runs through... in all likelihood, the water coming out will contain more nutrient than it did when you poured it in. Just, some of the liquid will have been absorbed by the soil, and those nutrients dissolved within will be available to the plant.

Stick a saucer under said plant, let it stand for ten minutes or so, tip the saucer onto another deserving plant (unless you suspect you have any plant diseases to spread).

I drink gallons of tea from the biggest mugs I can find but even they do not have saucers 2ft in diameter.

In all likelyhood this is also inconclusive. Has no gardening book ever touched on this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure