Aps for iphone

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
10 replies 2.5K views
Newly_retiredNewly_retired Forumite
2.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
I am asking on this board as I hope to get more age-appropriate answers than on the mobiles board.
I have just bought my first smartphone, an iPhone 5s and I am interested to know what others find most useful.
I am interested in classical music, news, current affairs, and also want to get local information especially when on holiday in UK.
Also any advice about how to avoid going over my data allowance?
Thanks for any ideas.

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only access via data when I absolutely have to, can usually find free wifi.

Apps I use (not on an iphone) are national rail and Kindle. I used to have one for current bus info but it didn't seem to work so I deleted it.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • GersGers Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am asking on this board as I hope to get more age-appropriate answers than on the mobiles board.
    I have just bought my first smartphone, an iPhone 5s and I am interested to know what others find most useful.
    I am interested in classical music, news, current affairs, and also want to get local information especially when on holiday in UK.
    Thanks for any ideas.

• BBC News app is good.
    • I've found that most big cities have a local app with sightseeing information and stuff for residents too.
    • National Trust / Historic Scotland etc
    • Log on to wifi whenever possible - though be careful aboutaccessing any sensitive / banking stuff at the time, especially when using free or public wifi. You could turn off your mobile data if you want to monitor it properly. Unless you haven't got a radio I wouldn't suggest that you stream live classical music as this will eat up data allowance.
  • pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    29.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ulmon Pro is a good free app, especially if you travel. It gives you maps which you can pre- download and then are accessible without using data when you are abroad.

We have a number of British cities on, as well as the American areas we visit.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Newly_retiredNewly_retired Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can I also ask what will use up the battery the most quickly?
    I know I was doing a lots of experimenting and sorting out settings the first day but I was surprised how soon it needed recharging.
  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any App that requires location tends to drain the battery pretty quickly. I don't know iOS but you may be able to turn location sharing off and just activate it when you really need it (remembering of course to turn it off again afterwards).
    29.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found that my first smart phone needed recharging very quickly. However, I soon realised that this was only in comparison to older mobiles.

• GersGers Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you double press the home button all the apps which are running in the background come up (in miniature) - you can close them properly by swiping up each one up. Be prepared for loads.
  • annelizaanneliza Forumite
    80 Posts
    i have the apps for Ocado & Tesco so that I can add shopping to my Home Delivery basket as I need to. (wherever I am) I have the eBay app so that I can continue to bid if I am away from home! BBC Radio & Podcasts to catch up with anything I may have missed. Google Maps (which also show traffic hold ups) I have all my banking apps and also Tesco Credit Card apps. Accuweather & BBC Weather apps. BBC & Sky News apps. Kindle & iBooks, Fix My Street (to report Fly Tipping etc) Patient Access for my surgery so that I can order my medication make appointments etc. ATM (UK) so that when we are travelling I can find the closest cash machine.

There are so many useful ones too. I have a compass, a spirit level, and a safe password one. Also read The Guardian from the App and (for balance) The Daily Mail app too.

I use the Diary function for all my day to day planning and the Note app for writing reminders, recipes etc.

I love my iPhone, it is an expensive item so it is worth making full use of it,
    29.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Made very good use of the Ulmon Pro app over the last two weeks, first in New York , then yesterday when we got lost near Philadelphia airport.

• elsienelsien Forumite
    25.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find Around Me quite good as well if I want to track down local facilities.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals