Council Tax debt from 13 years ago.

Options
I'm being pursued by the council for non-payment of council tax 13 years ago. I've started paying off the debt, £900, but have about 2 years to go. But this morning, they want a further sum of money, £100, for a liability order sent 13 years ago. I cannot pay any more money to the council just yet as it will cause me extreme hardship.

a) Do I have to pay it?
b) Can they not just postpone it until I have gotten some of the other debt paid off?
c) Can't they write it off?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They have 6 years to get a liability order from the date of the debt, which they have done, and then for eternity to collect the debt.

a) yes
    b) they can do, you need to speak to them
    c) they can but why should every one else pay for your failure to pay at the time.
  • Martynb_
    Martynb_ Posts: 302 Forumite
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    They have 6 years to get a liability order from the date of the debt, which they have done, and then for eternity to collect the debt.

a) yes
    b) they can do, you need to speak to them
    c) they can but why should every one else pay for your failure to pay at the time.

I'm not expecting anyone else to pay, but I have heard of some people's liability orders get quashed.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    SAR them for the liability order and full records.
    Where others have done this with historic debts they have withdrawn collection.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Martynb_ wrote: »
    I'm not expecting anyone else to pay, but I have heard of some people's liability orders get quashed.

It's possible. You need to show extreme hardship for them to even consider it. If you have zero income and no assets then they can't expect money from you and as you have nothing then they may consider writing the debt off. In reality they'll probably just suspend collection action until you have an income of your own.

Declaring yourself insolvent through an DRO or BR writes all council tax arrears off. If you can't afford to go BR (yes stupid as it sounds you've got to have money to declare you have no money) then you can try and get the council to petition for your bankruptcy. They won't do it though.

You said in your first post you have other debt to pay off. Unfortunately you have to stop paying that debt and pay the council tax arrears. Unless that debt is a mortgage all you'll get is some arrears and defaults on your credit record. The council could even ask for you to be imprisoned if you prioritize an unsecured debt over the council tax.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure