MSE News: Sky and Virgin Media reveal BT Sport price rise: How to beat it

Options
More than five million BT Sport customers either face a steep price rise or will have to pay £5/month extra...
Read the full story:

Sky and Virgin Media reveal BT Sport price rise: How to beat it

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,166 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Not very clear. I started with Virgin TV in July with a package price agreed and contract for 12 months. Not sure if the price will go up or not. BT Sport is included in the XXL TV package.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We have just had the letter, our Virgin is going up £3.00 a month which for us may be good news as we may be moving house so can get out of the contract.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what really is annoying is that i dont want any other sport. just the motoGP! not interested in any of the football at all!

but i would have to have the full package for what i want to watch!

these price rises are to cover the champions league £900 million bill. why do i have to foot the bill for something i dont even want?
  • hypochondriac
    Options
    Also does anyone have the sky prices that I can compare my deal with?
  • hypochondriac
    Options
    I currently get with Virgin no sport or movie

£88.46
    152mb broadband
    TV xl
    Phone xxl
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,166 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Not very clear. I started with Virgin TV in July with a package price agreed and contract for 12 months. Not sure if the price will go up or not. BT Sport is included in the XXL TV package.

Had my letter, it is going up £3.

I do have the right to cancel from 1 August.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • ivanissuewiththis
    Options
    From reading the stuff on the MSE site it looked like I would have to pay the £5 per month or negotiate. IN fatc anyone who renewed their BT TV/Broadband contract since 1st Jan 2015 do NOT have to pay ... at least until their current contract expires.

BT says:

BT Sport Pack is free to BT Sport on BT TV customers who take BT TV for the first time, have re-contracted since 1st January 2015, or re-contract their existing BT TV and BT Broadband services for a minimum of 12 months

Look on BT site BT.Custhelp.com at

/app/answers/detail/c/6401/a_id/53767/?s_intcid=sporthub_L1:popular_L2:53767 BT Sport price changes

• Hilarymartie
    Options
    Hi, first post so be gentle with me. I do not work for BT and 8 months ago when I moved house BT was a very bad word as they messed up so badly... Anyway... I have managed to mitigate the BT sport price rise. I have been getting BT sport free since it was introduced. I have sky and BT broadband. The price rise meant I would pay £5 a month or £60 a year extra. Instead I opted to take BT TV at a one off cost of £35 for the whole year (save £25) and the BT sport full package is free (Hubble watches lots of sport so not keeping it wasn't an option). Then they threw in the BT HD sport package for free too which is normally chargeable, not sure how much? What's more, from September, I was told BT TV is exclusively bringing the U.S. Channel AMC to the UK (breaking bad, mad men, walking dead) so I'll get that for free too. Only thing is I got the basic BTTV box so can only pause and rewind, not record. The box that records is a further £10 per month. Think I'll see what I think of AMC before I commit any further. Never seen any of their programmes but heard Breaking Bad is good.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How to beat the price rise....Phone your provider & haggle, No sh.. Sherlock.!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Never knew that BT was interstellar .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income