help - lost cat!

Options
Hi

My mum is currently looking after a relatives cat (they have a few months gap between selling/completing on new one). It was 'delivered' to my mum last night and this morning has gone. It managed to find the hidden cat flap sometime during the night and squeeze its way through the stuff that was blocking it and now it can't be found. It is chipped however we don't think the address has been updated yet and we think the old house is empty and the relative has gone on holiday (and we don't want to ruin her holiday!) My parents have been scouring the neighbourhood since dawn with no luck.
Any tips for finding a lost cat? Is it true that cats have an inbuilt homing device and will make its way back to its old house? Its the same town by the way - just opposite sides. My mum is in a state of panic obviously:(

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Camp out at the old house. The cat might turn up there eventually once the cat finds a familiar landmark. Might take a few days though.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Shrike
    Shrike Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you can access the vacuum cleaner at the old house you could try spreading the dust around your house so he may catch a familiar scent. Otherwise I'd suggest walking around your area calling for him and posters up. I'm not sure cats can 'home' like pigeons but he may catch a familiar scent from his home area and find his way back that way. Good luck!
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Go on facebook, local selling site, pet selling group, spotted page
    Post photo and details and ask people to share it
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Contact the cats Vet (try all the local vets if you are unsure which one would be used) and ask for the cats I'd chip number. They may not give it to you (data protection?), but ask them to notify the chip register of the cts loss and give them your mum's details as emergency contact.

Also ask the Vet for a list of local rescues so you can on tact them.

Good luck x
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    also contact your local branch of the Cats Protection League - they may do 'lost and found' - records
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • kleapatra
    kleapatra Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cat is still missing :-( Its day 8 today and all the vets in town have been informed and the details on the chip updated. All the neighbours of the old house and the new tenants are keeping a look out for him.
    Still crossing our fingers he will turn up soon
  • kleapatra
    kleapatra Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Day 9 and the cat has been found and is back to its (albeit temporary) home. It was seen at his old home by one of the neighbours and then caught and returned. Hurrah for clever homing cats!
  • Fluff15
    Fluff15 Posts: 1,440 Forumite
    Options
    Great news :)
  • Sagz_2
    Sagz_2 Posts: 6,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fantastic news!
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors