step child & inheritance

Options
Hi, can anyone tell me what happens to our house if myself & husband die without a will, we have 2 children together & husband has 1 child from a previous relationship, does our house just get split 3 ways ? even though house half mine, & also could I get a will drawn up whereas my 2 children share my half, then all 3 share my husbands half ? I realise this sounds harsh but I have worked hard to pay mortgage & I want my own children to benefit.

Comments

• Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    (Caveat - this is a very simplistic response!)

It depends on who dies first - if you both happen to die at exactly the same time, then then elder is deemed to have died first.

If hubbie dies first and you second, the estate would be split between your two natural children.

If you die first and hubbie second, the estate would be split between his three natural children.

If I were you, I'd write some wills lickety-split.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • lucysid
    lucysid Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you, & yes you are right, we need to sort a will asap
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also, if you die first, he might remarry and your kids get nothing - if he then died and his new wife got it all.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lucysid wrote: »
    could I get a will drawn up whereas my 2 children share my half, then all 3 share my husbands half ?

To do this, you would need to own the house 50/50 as 'tenants in common' rather than as 'joint tenants' which is more common for married couples.
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP
    You need to get a solicitor to draw up a Will that meets your objectives. There are several options but essentially the problem is to write words that deal with all the likely eventualities in terms of who dies first. A solicitor will explain your options.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    If married/civil partners you die (intestate) within 28 days of each other then there are special rules, the commorientes(oldest first) ones don't apply.

The estates are treated as if you both predeceased each other
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 July 2015 at 6:29PM
    Options
    I agree, best to speak to a solicitor.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,671 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Does your husband agree that this split is fair? If not he may want to balance this out by giving more of his share to your step son.

I think you 2 need to have a serious discussion on this then sort out the wills.
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,963 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there any likelihood that your stepchild may also inherit from his mother or perhaps his maternal grandparents? If so, you may want to consider this when discussing any kind of balance.
  • PennyForThem_2
    PennyForThem_2 Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you are paying the mortgage, whose name is the house in?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure