Does government still pay for university student tuition fees for single parents?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
5 replies 1.9K views
LiveOnceLiveOnce Forumite
476 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Student Money Saving
Hi all,

Does government still pay for university student tuition fees for single parents?

I had a look at the .gov website but its so confusing!

Replies

• Ed-1Ed-1 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    LiveOnce wrote: »
    Hi all,

I had a look at the .gov website but its so confusing!

Tuition fees haven't been means tested since 2005. Instead you can now take out a tuition fee loan to cover the full tuition fee which is then subject to the same repayment conditions as maintenance loans (i.e. 9% of income above a repayment threshold for x amount of years and then written off).
  • LiveOnceLiveOnce Forumite
    476 Posts
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    Tuition fees haven't been means tested since 2005. Instead you can now take out a tuition fee loan to cover the full tuition fee which is then subject to the same repayment conditions as maintenance loans (i.e. 9% of income above a repayment threshold for x amount of years and then written off).

So ultimately it still has to be repaid? the government won't pay for tuition fee on your behalf?
  • Ed-1Ed-1 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    LiveOnce wrote: »
    So ultimately it still has to be repaid? the government won't pay for tuition fee on your behalf?

They won't pay it up front. Whether it eventually gets repaid depends on whether the graduate earns enough over the repayment period for the loan as tuition fee loans and maintenance loans get added together to create an overall loan balance. Repayments are taken through the tax system at a rate of 9% of a graduate's earnings over the threshold of £21000 regardless of the loan balance. This continues for 30 years. Anything not repaid by then gets written off by government (so the government could end up paying the tuition fee but you won't know for 30 years...).

35% of the maximum maintenance loan is means tested.
  • gayleygoogayleygoo Forumite
    816 Posts
    Where are you OP? If you live in N.Ireland, you can get your Open University fees paid if your household income is under £26k. It doesn't apply in England, and not sure about Wales or Scotland though.

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • immoral_angelukimmoral_angeluk Forumite
    24.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure OU funding has stopped now for everyone after cuts. That's what I was told last year when I enquired anyway.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals