Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

50th birthday ideas in Surrey...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
7 replies 3K views
March2012March2012 Forumite
487 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
Any ideas for a man?

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kind of man?

Footie mad? Opera buff? celebrating with family or with mates?

When is the Big Birthday?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    10K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    As before, what does he like?

Day out at RHS Wisley perhaps, with pub lunch at http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/53376/
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    March2012 wrote: »
    Any ideas for a man?

Your local heritage railway .
    43.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    marlot wrote: »
    Picking up on this for entirely separate purposes, do you know what Mercedes World is like if you're not having a driving experience, and your walking is limited but you won't use a wheelchair? Likewise Brooklands Museum?

I think when he was younger FIL would have really enjoyed this. Not sure he'll cope now but thinking of trying it on our next get-together.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • edited 11 August 2015 at 11:44PM
    booksurrbooksurr
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 11 August 2015 at 11:44PM
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Picking up on this for entirely separate purposes, do you know what Mercedes World is like if you're not having a driving experience, and your walking is limited but you won't use a wheelchair? Likewise Brooklands Museum?

I think when he was younger FIL would have really enjoyed this. Not sure he'll cope now but thinking of trying it on our next get-together.
    as you would expect from a relatively modern building the Mercedes World is of course fully accessible for those with disabilities. That said it is spread over several floors (lifts and or moving walkway access between them) so the distance to cover is not inconsequential, but it is indoors and so quite comfortable. Not sure about resting places however

Brooklands museum itself requires a lot of walking if you want to see round the many sheds and hangars

rather depends if he is interested enough to want to see it "all" and realises that it would be much easier to do so in a chair (I think you can borrow them from both places) or if he really won't then he may have to accept a compromise on what he can see
    43.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    booksurr wrote: »
    as you would expect from a relatively modern building the Mercedes World is of course fully accessible for those with disabilities. That said it is spread over several floors (lifts and or moving walkway access between them) so the distance to cover is not inconsequential, but it is indoors and so quite comfortable. Not sure about resting places however

Brooklands museum itself requires a lot of walking if you want to see round the many sheds and hangars

rather depends if he is interested enough to want to see it "all" and realises that it would be much easier to do so in a chair (I think you can borrow them from both places) or if he really won't then he may have to accept a compromise on what he can see
    Thanks, that is really helpful. TBH I don't know that he'll cope with looking at that much wherever we go: I do know that getting him in a wheelchair is about as likely as ... me becoming prime minister. But it sounds as if the BM world is likely to be a safer bet.
    Still knitting!
This discussion has been closed.